Thread: Revit LT 2013 - Wall Opening - Phase created problem

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit LT 2013 - Wall Opening - Phase created problem

I am trying to create a wall opening in a wall created on 'phase - existing'. The wall opening is proposed and therefore on 'phase - new construction'. Every time I create the opening on the proposed floor plan view, it registers as being created on 'phase existing' and therefore shows up on existing 3D views and existing floor plans. Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit LT 2013 - Wall Opening - Phase created problem

Quote Originally Posted by jayne.hepworth644264 View Post
    I am trying to create a wall opening in a wall created on 'phase - existing'. The wall opening is proposed and therefore on 'phase - new construction'. Every time I create the opening on the proposed floor plan view, it registers as being created on 'phase existing' and therefore shows up on existing 3D views and existing floor plans. Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?
    Under View Properties under Phasing all the way at the bottom, your current view must have as its current phase set to "existing" instead of new construction. You can duplicate the "existing" condition view, name it "new construction" and change the current phase to "new construction". When you create your new wall opening is should be phased in "new construction".

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply Leo, really appreciate it. Still having problems here. I had already done exactly as you suggest ie duplicated the existing floor plan, renamed it proposed and changed the phase to new construction. Working on the proposed floor plan, set to phase 'new construction' I try to make a wall opening in one of the existing walls and each time it creates as an existing wall opening. When I highlight the new wall opening to show its properties, the phase created shows as existing and it is greyed out so I can't change the phase to new construction at that level either. I am puzzled.
    Regards
    Jayne

Login to Give a bone

I've just found an old post on this problem and it seems that the wall opening tool does not work with phases ( seems very odd to me). People have suggested using a door or window family with no actual door or window in it. This at least has the benefit of casing the opening if required. I will give this option a try, but what a drag.

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You'll have to use a door / window / something family before the opening can be phased.

Login to Give a bone

Another option is to create a wall within the wall that you can demo out....
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

Do you mean an existing wall with an existing embedded wall, just so the embedded wall can be demolished in new construction? What are the advantages in that?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Lithgow View Post
    Do you mean an existing wall with an existing embedded wall, just so the embedded wall can be demolished in new construction? What are the advantages in that?
    It leaves you with just an opening....If you add-in a window or door and then demo it you get an infill wall and not an opening...but in existing it shows as just a wall.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

but if you add in a door/window/opening family in new construction (and don't demolish it) - isn't that the same thing without the bother of embedding and it's easy to schedule as an opening. I suppose though that what you suggest is 'cleaner' bim in that your demolished wall _is_ a demolished wall and mine is a new opening. I'll have to give that aspect more thought.