Thread: Workset with 60 links. One for each rvt link or logical grouping?

All AUGI, all the time Duncan Lithgow's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Workset with 60 links. One for each rvt link or logical grouping?

Are there any issues with having lot of worksets?

I am building a federated rvt project to collect the 60+ buildings of a hospital campus project. I'm wondering if it's better to have a workset for each logical grouping (for example each licitation area) or one for every linked building.

The only downside I can think of in grouping links into worksets is that when opening a workset if one link fails Revit (2012) doesn't tell me which link has failed - and with 60+ building it's not always trivial checking.

A smaller consideration is that some of our buildings are divided into several models - for example because the basement of building 64.03 is completed in the previous licitation because services need to run through the basement to earlier buildings.

so, lots of worksets or logical grouping?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Workset with 60 links. One for each rvt link or logical grouping?

Seems to be a nice problem to have.
    Logically groupings make the most sense to me. My philosophy with worksets is the less you have, the better. Federated models are definitely different from everyday production models, so you won't need a worksets for every link.
    I think it will boil down to the scope of work that you are doing with the federated model. Is it for phasing, site planning, facilities management? Determining the model uses will help determine how best to segregate the worksets.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ghale View Post
    Seems to be a nice problem to have.
    You should try opening and using the model, it's not much fun actually. With each link being between 60 and 170 Mb it's a chore to do anything... even though it's an 8 core 3.8 hz machine with 16 GB DDR3 RAM (from memory).

But as you wrote "Determining the model uses will help determine how best to segregate the worksets." and that's really what I needed to hear. I'm going for logical grouping. Workset management is the key to being able to use this model.

Thanks

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

If I had 60 links, I would have 60 worksets, one per each link, named as in this format "LINK-WHO-WHAT" . The alphabetical order would help you see them sorted and grouped on the list. Having them individually means that you can identify each link in particular, easily, turn it off or on, open it or close it from memory, etc.
    Last edited by Alfredo Medina; 2013-02-08 at 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for chipping in Alfredo. Obviously I won't redo the whole setup at this stage, but I'll see how it goes. You're right I could find a naming convention which kept them in a logical order. I was thinking more of the file size overhead of that many worksets. Is there any significant overhead?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I don't think that a long list of worksets for links has a significant impact in file size. On the contrary, it gives you more control about handling performance, because you can open/close just exactly the portions that you need. Grouping is no good, in my opinion, because if links A, B, C, are in the same workset, at some point, somebody is going to do something to "B" in particular, but now B can't be isolated from A and C because B is grouped. One workset for each link gives you more control over all the items, and it gives the users the chance to open/close/update, etc, just that portion they need.
    Last edited by Alfredo Medina; 2013-02-08 at 09:18 PM. Reason: grammar

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Fewer worksets is ideal from the perspective of "screen shock", scrolling through a long list and remembering to make them active. For links you tend to set and forget. You aren't likely to make a link's workset active very often or ever.

If you put a prefix on the links as Alfredo suggests, or even use 00- or ZZ- you can force them under or above other more worksets that you interact with more often. I usually use a number sequence so I can group them easily. Then I can select a bunch and close them before opening the project, using the Specify Worksets option.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Steve. Are you saying that the performance impact is negligible so I might as well think about usability?