See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best practice for isometric details

I could stop if I wanted to Griff's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Best practice for isometric details

I have been the only person in the company using Revit, so basically I've been self taught. The trouble is I can get stuck doing things a certain way, and maybe it's not the best way to get the job done.

The Issue:
    I want to have an isometric detail with a couple of dimensions and some callouts. I don't want to take the time to draw a front, side and top view of the item, so an isometric would be the best view to use. So, I go and draw up a family and insert it into the project.

Currently I place one instance of the family into a plan view. Then I duplicate a 3D view and hide all the extra stuff so I can detail my isometric view. Now, I don't want that item showing up on all the other drawings so I open up each drawing and make sure that item is hidden in the view.

Is this how everyone does it, or is there a better way? I'd think it would be best if I could insert the family into a Detail View and detail it there, and not ever actually place it in the model. Any thoughts?

I've attached a very simple Cable tray support family.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I could stop if I wanted to bbeck's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Best practice for isometric details

I have a different approach to this. I use phases prior to existing for this type of documentation. Run a search on "legends" and "phases" and you should be able to see examples of what I'm talking about. Your approach is fine for now. Eventually others will be joining you in the model and as they start creating new views the "hide in view" approach becomes a hassle.

Login to Give a bone

bbeck,
    Thanks for the input, that is exactly what type of information I was hoping I'd get from that post. I'll do a search on the Legends and phases and see what I can learn. Thank you again for your thoughts!
    Griff

Login to Give a bone

For instance, we use an "Annotations" Phase which is in the future, ahead of New. You might look into the new Assemblies features. I haven't, but it sounds like they might be helpful.

Login to Give a bone

Mike,
    Hadn't even thought about the Assemblies feature. I guess I need to look into what it's all about. Thanks for the comment,,,really appreciate your input
    Griff

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Maybe I'm missing something? For the item in question, I don't understand why you would need to place it as a 'dummy' object in the project. Doesn't it exist somewhere in the design? If so, can you just make a 3D view of one of those locations, and place it on a sheet? If you are creating typical details, I would probably export that view to CAD, and import back to Revit to reduce it to 2D linework, especially for cases like this where it is easier to model the assembly than to draw an isometric.

Login to Give a bone

antman,
    It didn't appear in the project. and I only want to make reference to the typical view. I guess I could export to AutoCad and then import it back. It's not going to change and it's only a typical view. I try as hard a possible to not use AutoCad but this may be a viable use for it.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Mike L Sealander View Post
    For instance, we use an "Annotations" Phase which is in the future, ahead of New. You might look into the new Assemblies features. I haven't, but it sounds like they might be helpful.
    This is a very good tip! I generally add a project parameter and then use filters on these to hide them in all the other views. At least then I can set particular items to be hidden all over.

But yours actually makes more sense, and might be less work too!

My biggest issue is stuff like detail sections. I don't want their references to show up in all plans. I know I can hide them at larger scales, but even on same scale plans you might have a plan which is meant for a different purpose. I'll look into using your phasing idea for similar instead of using filters.

Login to Give a bone

I'm starting to create more Types of views, like sections and plans, in order to filter them better and automate the use of View Templates. For instance, you can have a Section type called Building, which is used only for whole-building sections, and hide that type of view through filters assigned to View Templates.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Yep, my method is much similar - though instead of making an entirely new section type I simply add some comment / custom project parameter to the view. Then set the filter on that.

Actually I've got a custom project parameter in any case so I can group the views more sensibly in the project browser. So I've already got that sorted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast