Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floor Plan View, Joined Floors w/ Different Thicknesses Showing Slab Edges Only Within Dependent Views.

Login to Give a bone

Default Floor Plan View, Joined Floors w/ Different Thicknesses Showing Slab Edges Only Within Dependent Views.

1/16" Overall Plans do not show edges of floor slabs that are joined together and at the same elevation (Good). 1/8" Dependent views do show edges of joined geometry (Not good). Being able to see the two common edges of slabs that are joined is not desirable. Besides the scale, each view is following the same VG. See attached image. What am I missing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Floor Plan View, Joined Floors w/ Different Thicknesses Showing Slab Edges Only Within Dependent Views.

A couple things to check: Visual Style, Detail Level, Materials of floors the same, View's Discipline?

E.g. if Detail Level = Course it might look "joined" since it's not showing the individual materials of each floor. But when shown at Medium/Fine the materials matter. In this case I'd actually not worry about it - since if the materials are different, you'd probably have a line there in reality.

If the visual style is set to WireFrame you might be seeing the difference in the thickness's line below.

Some disciplines turn on/off certain object types, especially between Arch & Struct.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Floor Plan View, Joined Floors w/ Different Thicknesses Showing Slab Edges Only Within Dependent Views.

Visual Style: Hidden Line
    Detail Level: Medium (Changing to Course does not effect the lines of joined geometry)
    Materials of floors the same: Yes
    If in reality, the materials were different, then Yes, I agree that documenting a line there is desireable.

Additionaly, In VG under floors, Common Edges: unchecked, Hidden Lines: Checked, Interior Edges: unchecked, Slab Edges: unchecked

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by etboards17 View Post
    Hidden Lines: Checked
    Try turning this off / overriding the display properties to a different line style.

BTW, it might be that someone's purposefully added these lines (as detail lines, or more probably View -> Graphics -> Show Hidden Lines). But that then would mean your <Hidden> line style is set to display as continuous.

Another possibility might be the view range, perhaps the 1/16" view doesn't indicate the lines because it doesn't view that far down. Have you tried using View Templates to turn the 2 views into similar VG/Range/Underlay/Phase/Discipline/Clipping/etc?

Login to Give a bone

Hidden Lines: Unchecked Still no change.
    No team member has used the Show Hidden Lines tool. There are no Line Work Overrides or Detail Lines. Entire team knows that the floor edges are not supposed to show.
    View Range is set to 0'-0" from Associated Level.
    View Templates for both the 1/16" and the 1/8" are very similar and exactly the same concerning the floor geometry.
    What is amazing to me, and to replenish the challenge, is that out of the three dependent views only one dependent view is showing the joined slab edges. Also, the same object traverses across two crop regions with different representations in the dependent views.
    The attached image shows one of the floors traversing two crop regions in red and also shows the object not selected allowing us to see the slab edges showing in one dependent view and not in another.
    FloorSlabEdgeChallenge.jpg

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Hmmm...... Are all slab edges on the correct/same workset? Are there any Filters applied to any views? Any Plan Regions in place? Is there a Toposurface and/or Pad below the building which could be part of the problem?

What happens if you delete the dependent view where the slab edges are showing incorrectly, and re-create it as a dependent view?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Only 2 other ideas I can think of:

1. One of the 2 slabs is hidden (Object Hide not Category hide). Since your view depth only goes to the slab level you're not seeing stuff below it so it looks blank, but the edge of the other slab is visible. Try turning on "Reveal Hidden Objects" and see if the phantom edge disappears.
    2. Try seeing if View Templates could sort out some extra issues which might be different even between dependent views. Or as Cliff mentioned, try recreating the dependent view. This is of course the cop-out solution, since you won't "know" what went wrong.

Login to Give a bone

cliff,
    No Filters, worksets are not used for visibility in this project
    These are slabs on level 2.

irneb,
    1.: All slabs are shown.
    2.: I tried duplicating the parent view and the slab edges are not there. I also tried duplicating the dependent and the slab edges are not there (cop-out). Note: In the one view that the slab edges are present I can select the slabs. In contrast, the views that I cannot see the slab edges, I cannot select the slabs. Somehow the slab is being projected into the view.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Try using a Callout of the 1/16th plan--make sure to use Floor Plan Type, not Detail. Do the slab edges show correctly? (I have a feeling it is something to do with the dependent view/parent view relationship.)

Login to Give a bone

I will try this, but does my previous explanation of the other dependent view showing things correctly give light to your suggestion?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast