Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logitech Performance MX Mouse

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Logitech Performance MX Mouse

Hello, I know that mice are primarily a personal choice but sometimes some mice just do not play well with some programs.

I am using AutoCAD 2012, full version and Revit Architecure 2012 (mostly AutoCAD as Revit is just being learned at this time). Additionally, I am using Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with an Intel i7 processor. My IT guy told me that my old mouse is having issues with the 64-bit system. So I was told to get a new mouse.

I chose the Logitech Performance MX, downloaded/installed the 64-bit driver, and am just having some problems.

First of all the double click for my scroll does not work properly (to zoom extents). I have changed (and tried other of the settings in the Setpoint software for the mouse) the scroll to middle button - yes i tried all of the zoom options in the software.... I even changed the left and right scroll to middle button to eliminate confusion on it i am hitting them instead. Sometimes it will zoom extents, sometimes not. Then there is the scroll. IF it does zoom extents, quite often it will zoom in after.

Second, the zoom while using the scroll kinda keeps zooming in and does not stop.

Does anybody have experience with the Logitech Performance MX and AutoCAD and/or Revit not playing well together, or am I just overly sensitive ? thanks in advance for your experiences.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Logitech Performance MX Mouse

I think its just a matter of re-training the muscle memory. I've not encountered any peripheral device which clashes with a specific program, its all the meatware's fault.

Login to Give a bone

I used a Logitech Performance MX mouse for a couple of years without issue... If you're experiencing issues with the middle button zoom, you might consider changing the left and right scroll settings as 'middle button' (I never used them OOTB to begin with).

This mouse was my favorite to use, until I opted for the Logitech G700 for it's Macro, application profiles, and data over cable (not just charging) capabilities... I do still find the Performance MX a bit more comfortable for my Sasquatch hands, but the G700 is close enough for me to be productive.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hello, and thanks for your replies.

So, I have given it a month for the re-trailing of the muscles in my hand and I am still having issues with the scroll wheel. I use it to pan (press, hold and drag scroll button) and zoom extents (double click scroll button) and I find myself constantly having either double click again for ZE or press/hold/drag again.

One thing I did get figured out is that the button on the top of the mouse behind the scroll changes the fluidity of the roll of the scroll.... basically it takes the bumps off the scroll. In a word doc or web page, I can roll the scroll and have the scroll just keep on rolling, thus the doc keeps scrolling up or down. Turn it on and I have to move the scroll to move up or down.

So, in AutoCAD, having that button OFF allows the scroll to zoom in and out without my finger on it. Turn it on and my finger has to be rolling the scroll to zoom in/out.

I guess it is possible that I got a bad mouse. Has anyone else had the same issues and found a solution ?

Additionally, The reason for replacing the mouse in the first place was because I was having pick issues while in the move command and I am still having occasional (although not as often) problems. Basically, I would enter into the move command, select my objects (enter), then I am asked for a base point for which I click [wherever it may be, on an abject or just in space it does not matter] in the drawing window and then go to click to drop the objects to find out that it did not use that first click for a base point as a base point. AutoCAD accepts a click but does not pick up the objects:

Command line says this:
    Select objects:
    Specify base point or [Displacement] <Displacement>:
    Specify second point or <use first point as displacement>:

any thoughts ? am I missing something in AutoCAD ?

Login to Give a bone

Interesting -- I'm running into similar issue with a new Performance MX, but only in Acad. Other apps don't behave oddly, but in Acad the scroll wheel and pan consistently misbehave and throw the viewpoint off into space somewhere. For panning to ever work, I find that I need to push the wheel in and to the left.

For now I've gone back to my logitech Revolution mouse, but it would be nice to figure out what's whacked with the Performance.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Interesting -- I'm running into similar issue with a new Performance MX, but only in Acad. Other apps don't behave oddly, but in Acad the scroll wheel and pan consistently misbehave and throw the viewpoint off into space somewhere. For panning to ever work, I find that I need to push the wheel in and to the left.

For now I've gone back to my logitech Revolution mouse, but it would be nice to figure out what's whacked with the Performance.
    Couple of things... Logitech software is infamous for that when switching from browser to AutoCAD; try a REGEN first. Helps on my end.

Also, for panning, I found it advantageous to set each scroll left, scroll right, and middle button to middle button, which seemed to help my fat finger panning... I do the same now with my G700.

Cheers

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Setting everything to middlewheel for CAD helps quite a bit - thanks.

I'm suspecting that the higher resolution of the PerformanceMX may be a pita as well. My office mouse is an MX500 - unsupported by the logitech software so missing bells and whistles, but comfortable to hand. It's a lot easier to select with that than it is the performance mx -- performance seems to 'jiggle' less and hold postion on a pixelw/o bouncing around in response to every bit of pressure while the 500 is much more stable.

Login to Give a bone

You're welcome; happy to help.

The lack of 'jiggle' is probably due to the darkfield laser... I could use that on a transparent glass table top, or my granite countertops at home without issue.

Computer Specs:

Login to Give a bone

performance seems to 'jiggle' less and hold postion on a pixelw/o bouncing around in response to every bit of pressure while the 500 is much more stable.
    ARGHHHH!! Meant to say the Performance MX jiggles _MORE_, not less. Older mx500 has the least amount of jiggle, revolution mx is not bad but still noticable, and the performance mx has the most jiggle/least stability. The darkfield laser may be a factor in that.

The MX500 also has a click wheel, rather than free wheeling - that seems to work better for zooming in cad as it stops when I want it to rather than when it wants to.

Login to Give a bone

ARGHHHH!! Meant to say the Performance MX jiggles _MORE_, not less. Older mx500 has the least amount of jiggle, revolution mx is not bad but still noticable, and the performance mx has the most jiggle/least stability. The darkfield laser may be a factor in that.
    That doesn't sound like a laser issue... It sounds like a DPI sensitivity level issue... Both the Performance MX, and G700 are adjustable on the fly, the latter per Application Profile (if desired). The Pointer Speed, and Acceleration may also be factors.

Given that the G700 has more macro buttons, I set two of mine as DPI Decrease, and DPI Increase respectively.

The MX500 also has a click wheel, rather than free wheeling - that seems to work better for zooming in cad as it stops when I want it to rather than when it wants to.
    So too does the Performance MX, and G700 (have a click wheel)... But it's optional... To enable/disable see the button directly behind the wheel. :thumbsup:

Computer Specs:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast