Thread: Is it Possible to Edit the Analytical Properties of a Window?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Is it Possible to Edit the Analytical Properties of a Window?

Here is what I mean (see red arrow):

Analytic Properties.png

If it's possible, how do I go about accomplishing it?

What I'd REALLY like to do is locate the table attached to "Analytic Construction" so that
    1. I don't have to scroll through every option to find out the U Factor, etc.
    2. I can add my own according to manufacturer

Thanks!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Is it Possible to Edit the Analytical Properties of a Window?

Where did you get this window family? The basic Revit window templates, don't have these parameters, so I'm not familiar with them. Are they perhaps part of a nested family? Can you post the family?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I'm pretty sure this window family is standard. It's the casement family:

Casement with Trim.rfa

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Hmm, I still don't see it. I opened the standard family (Revit 2012 library) and it didn't have any Analytic Properties. Is this 2013?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Must be 2013 then. I see these same parameters in all window families - even those I import from old RFA files. So it acts like a system parameter, and probably some sort of built-in thing (can't even find such in registry).

Strange that it seems hard-coded into Revit! I mean, what happens if you're using something else than the 30+ glazing types they've thought of? Or what about new materials developed afterwards? But worst: some of those calculations are more complex than simply looking at the glazing type - in particular the heat transfer is probably greatly influenced by the frame construction and/or material(s).

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Strange that it seems hard-coded into Revit! I mean, what happens if you're using something else than the 30+ glazing types they've thought of? Or what about new materials developed afterwards? But worst: some of those calculations are more complex than simply looking at the glazing type - in particular the heat transfer is probably greatly influenced by the frame construction and/or material(s).
    This is exactly what I'm struggling with right now. I'd like to run an energy analysis on my model using a Pella window--or at the very least properly document the correct performance values on a schedule. But I'm stuck with a set of options that are
    1. difficult to evaluate and compare in their current arrangement
    2. impossible to edit (so far) and
    3. ultimately inappropriate for the windows that I am using

I spent a few hours compiling screen shots of each option into a set that I can compare at a glance. None of them meet my needs :P

I found some software (overview attached) that seems like it might give you the option of entering your own values, but so far nothing within Revit.

How to find Shading Coefficients of Glazed Constructions in CDB no license.doc

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I think the idea behind those values is simply meant for the glazing portion of the window. Note they're all measured by area. So most probably you're meant to make your own parameter(s) then add a formula into it calculating the glazing area and multiplying it with the factor(s) in those built-in params. Perhaps add/subtract something for the particular frame - which should be some form of constant per length of frame used.

I'm a bit surprised that ADesk went this route. They might have thought there are only those glazing types. But they failed to realize that there's quite a bit of development in this field these days (especially since everything tends towards some form of "green" building). IMO it would be much more usable if they allow you to add to the list of possible glazing - perhaps something in registry. Probably another suspect for a WishList item though I've seen too many of those wishes simply being ignored.