Thread: Multi building project

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Multi building project

I am starting a project that has multiple buildings. I have each building in a seporate model, I am not sure what the best way to procede.

My thought is to:
    -Link arch models into new revit structure models and do the structural modeling there.

-Then link those models into a master revit model where the sheets kept and details are cut.

If anyone has a better method I would be grateful for any input.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Multi building project

I've used this method in the past with much success.

Issues to consider:
    1. Are you creating a single set or multiple sets?
    2. Are there just common details between the buildings or major common modeled elements?
    3. Are each of the buildings different or are the multiple instances of the same type?

I've used some different workflows depending on your answers to the issues.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

A couple of the buildings would share details. The problem I ran into was where would I put the notes. Would I model the building completely in sub models and then put the keynotes and text into the common model or could I do that in the sub model?

I brought the sub model into the common model and all the notes that had already put in it disappeared and at that moment (because of time restraints) I had to go with separate models.

But after finishing it, I find that I would really rather have them in one common model because of the details.

Login to Give a bone

Everything in a single file does make documentation easier. I'll send you a tip I'm working on that describes using Scope Boxes to aid in documenting several buildings in a single file.

For the separate file approach, you can tag across links, so all of the documentation could be in a single common file. Notes, tags and dimensions are annotation objects and only appear in the view in which they are created. Your notes aren't gone they just don't show up on views created on a linked model.

There is a feature named By Linked View that is accessed through the Visibility Graphics Overrides / Revit links / Override graphics for the linked model. This feature allows you to show the contents of a specific view in a linked model in the current view. The views must be the same type and parallel to each other. This works for plans, elevations and I believe sections.

One downside is the manual setup for each view to override the linked model. Of course, the time spent copying all the information form one model view to another might offset that effort. The major downside is coordinating the space for views, tags, notes and dimensions between the building files and the common file. I used this exact approach on a project before Revit had the ability to tag across links.

I would suggest building the models in separate files and doing all the documentation in the common file. While it is possible to document in 2 files, the time spent coordinating the 2 files will outweigh the benefit.
    Last edited by karcher; 2013-02-07 at 02:54 AM. Reason: revise wording of comment

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the insight

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

As a continuation to the thread, I have a similar condition where we have five buildings, totaling about 70,000 s.f. Each building is currently modeled in it's own file and linked to the site model. The project (all 5 buildings) will be issued for permit in one combined set and organized to allow the contractor to readily distribute each building's documents separately for construction. The buildings are limited demolition and renovation.

1. Buildings east and west are mirror images
    2. Buildings north and south are mirror images
    3. Building 5 is it's own
    4. We intend to utlized standard details and place them on "typical" sheets that can be distributed with any of the buildings.

Our goals are to minimize the potential aspect of duplicating our efforts 5 times (for same conditions) and set up the model(s) for ease of use by our consultants who may not be as Revit savvy. Should we place the buildings all in one single Revit file or link all to a common file that holds sheets and details?

At what point is it viable and practical to have multiple buildings in one Revit file? Are there significant concerns for consultants?

Login to Give a bone

In a sense I currently have 10 buildings in one model. All buildings are connected so that helps since you don't have to worry about placement on site. In your case, if you had the placement on site already set, then modeling all in one makes a whole lot of sense. If they are going to be moving around, it's much easier to move the link in a site model vs moving the modeled objects with in the model.
    Current project model is about 800ksf of useable space, All concrete details are model based with modeled reinf (we didn't model all of it, but we modeled it where it was going to show up in a detail (pier plan, section...). Project will be issued in multiple packages and documentation should be complete in about 2 or 3 more months. Current file size is 175mb. Runs fine, no problems.
    As for concerns for consultants, the only one you should have is "Do they have the hardware to run it?"
    I haven't had any of our consultants or contractors say anything yet. 175mb is rather small if you were to look at the arch versions. The archies have 14 models as compared to my 1. So what that means, is everytime someone changes a family or a title block or a door.....they have to reload it into 14 models. I only have to do it once.
    One model always makes more sense IMHO, but in your case where the entire building may be shifting around on a site and the relationship between them may not be constant, separate models may be a better choice.
    Just some thoughts.