Thread: Grid Head Lable Rotation

Login to Give a bone

Default Grid Head Lable Rotation

I have a grid head family and I want the grid numbers/letters to read horizontally for a vertical grid and vertically for a horizontal grid. I have looked everywhere for a solution but I cannot. I made 2 different family types, one for vertical grids and one for horizontal grids. For the horozontal grids I rotated the text 90 degrees in the family. When I load it into the project everything looks great in plan view but in elevation the text for the horizontal grid is offset..WHY! Can I fix this? The vertical grids work great in plan and elevation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Grid Head Lable Rotation

The circular shape for grid lines has a good reason to exist. What rule would you apply for grids like these? How many types of grids will you need? How would your users know what type to use in each case? What good will that rotation standard do to the documentation of the project?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

"What rule would you apply for grids like these?" These grid represent our NEW grids

"How many types of grids will you need?" There would be only 2 different types, one for vertical and one for horizontal

"How would your users know what type to use in each case?" Its self explanatory, there will be a type called NEW-VERTICAL and NEW-HORIZONTAL

"What good will that rotation standard do to the documentation of the project?" It will not change anything in the documentation but will just please our current standards. I have been working with revit for a couple years now and I try to get my office to stay away from some of there old standards but sometimes I get fought hard to keep some things the way they are.

I am not asking IF this should be done I am asking if it is POSSIBLE.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

According to that standard, what would be the correct way to put grids in the radial portion of that building shown above?

Login to Give a bone

I am not worried about grids for radial building portions at this time. That bridge will be crossed when we get there.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Hey, cteafoe.

We have had similar problems with grid bubbles. We have a very large project and we wanted a building ID in each bubble in addition to the grid number or letter. In short: we never got it working. We consulted Autodesk, professional Revit consulting (who have been able to solve some very tricky Revit issues for us in the past), and we never got anywhere. We ended up using a detail component as yucky as that sounds. Sorry for the bad news.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cteafoe875530 View Post
    I am not worried about grids for radial building portions at this time. That bridge will be crossed when we get there.
    That proofs that if you have a project with different orientations of the grid, and a user asks you how to place the grids for that rotated portion of the building according to the standards, the standards book won't have an answer for that question. However, the user had to stop and ask anyway, and some time was spent on a simple task that should not require any thinking.

Unfortunately, this rotation as you want it is not possible for a grid head family. Similar requests have been posted in other forums about this.

Speaking of something else, I don't know more information about Damon.sidel's case about the Building ID being added to the name or number of the bubble, but that is possible. Probably there is something more about it than simply adding another parameter?

Login to Give a bone

"Unfortunately, this rotation as you want it is not possible for a grid head family. Similar requests have been posted in other forums about this. "

Thank you that was the question.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    Speaking of something else, I don't know more information about Damon.sidel's case about the Building ID being added to the name or number of the bubble, but that is possible. Probably there is something more about it than simply adding another parameter?
    Yes, you can add a "Building ID" shared parameter. Here's the sticking point: it only rotates correctly if you add both Building ID and Name parameters to the same label with a break. When you place this label at the center of the ref planes, it will rotate correctly (see bubbles on right below). However, if you want the Building ID to be smaller text, as we did, you need to put it in it's own label. Then you can't place both the Building ID label and the Name label at the center to rotate correctly. You get very strange results. (See bubbles on left below.) Now this isn't a critical case, but I think this would be a good thing to have: (a) the project is big, so this helps clarify what building you are working on without grid names getting outrageously long and (b) the small Building ID text versus the large grid Name text might be a small thing, but hierarchy and legibility is very important on drawings.

grid bubble.JPG

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

@damon : OK, I see now, thank you for providing more information.

@taeafoe: Just to clarify, that rotation is not possible automatically for the grid head family, but you could still create several families, one for each typical angle. You would need to check how the label displays when the grid has bubbles on both sides. Just more things to coordinate, though.