Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victaulic Fire Protection Piping

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Victaulic Fire Protection Piping

We tried autorouting piping with the family Fire Protection Piping from Victaulic, and it can only make 45º and 90º turns (elbows).

We can not route the pipes in the exact way we have it in the design, because we have many angles in the turning points.

Anyone faced this problem? Victaulic has not answered so far.

thanks

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Victaulic Fire Protection Piping

Welcome the forums.
    I'm not familiar with the details of the Victaulic families but does Victaulic make fittings for 'custom' angles outside of what they supply in their families? As far as I know you're limited to 90, 45, 22.5 and 11.25 degrees in the 'real' world right?

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your reply. I checked Victaulic webpage and it looks like they have real pipe elbows with 11.25 and 22.5 degrees, but the revit family that is available for download only has 45º and 90º, which limits the routing posibilities.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Just wanted to add my 2 Pesos worth... Auto-routing is a useless feature and I say this because in the real-world, you will have various obstructions to work around such as other pipes, ducts, cable trays, steel, etc...

It's a nice idea but the practicality of it.... well, it isn't practical at all unless you're modeling an open ceiling space like a large warehouse. In that case you MIGHT be able to use it.

Matt

Login to Give a bone

I put it wrong. In fact we are placing pipes with the "pipe" command in the systems ribbon, not using autorouting.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

So the problem is that the fittings won't use any angle except 45 and 90, right? If that's the case, perhaps the family is created in such a away as to only allow those angles. Take a look inside an elbow family and check what parameter is controlling the bend angle. Then check whether that parameter is constrained to certain angles.

Login to Give a bone

The family you are using only contains the 90 degree (No. 001) and 45 degree (No. 003) elbows. These are the only angles available in the FireLock Fire Protection product line per our product submittal 10.03. We do offer 90 degree (No. 10), 45 degree (No. 11), 22.5 degree(No. 12) and 11.25 degree (No. 13) elbows in our IPS Revit family. These are the only standard angle elbows we offer. If you require additional information on the IPS product line please download submittal 07.01 from the Victaulic website.

Login to Give a bone

We could also recommend using flexible couplings to arrive at small needs for deflection.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Often in the field two 45 degree bends will be used together in order to achieve non-standard angles. So essentially there becomes no angle restrictions. Unfortunately, doing that in a Revit model would create all sorts of headaches - fitting to fitting connections, way too many elevation values for pipe runs, etc. Rather, "unlocking" the fitting from those standard angles, then using the "IsCustom" parameter built into fitting families to alert the user to those non-standard angles allows for more flexibility.

Just my 2 cents.

Login to Give a bone

I received an answer from Victaulic. The tables appear to be misplaced in the computer.

Thanks all for the repplies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast