Thread: Roof floor based families

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Roof floor based families

Please could anyone tell me in Revit Architecture can you make a floor or roof based family to create anoutside paving surface with multiple surface types e.g. Paving Slabs, Block pavers, that will show sub-basematerials below e.g. hardcore and foundations but you can also change the level heights of the surface at known spot heights?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Roof floor based families

I'll start things off with a partial answer: I don't think what you want is readily available. Spot elevations are only truly available using the topography tools whereas hardcore and foundations are really something you'd model with floors.

What might be a work-around is TWO floors. The first would be the hardcore or foundation build-up, whatever construction you want. Then model another floor on top of that and modify sub-elements and add points where you want to manipulate spot heights. This will triangulate the surface and you can change the height relative to the floor level or with an absolute value. The issue I think you'll find is that the hardcore/foundation will be a flat extrusion, but the top floor with the paving surface or whatever will still have a consistent thickness. If you are changing grades for paving surfaces, you'll probably have some kind of gravel/sand/etc. layer that is variable thickness. This could be excluded from either floor and just be the space between the two floors in section. You'd then add a fill region in any section to show the material for this. Check out the quick model and jpgs that are attached to help explain my idea.

paving section.JPG
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by damon.sidel; 2013-03-01 at 04:35 PM.