Thread: Plant grid coordinates vs world/state plane

Login to Give a bone

Default Plant grid coordinates vs world/state plane

This is more of a brain-picking exercise, looking for options, advantages, disadvantages, on how to best address this situation. I'm guessing it's a common occurence, just not something I've dealt with much.

The owner is a manufacturing plant, that's been around for decades on the same piece of property. Over the years they's added, demolished, renovated, replaced facilities
    on an as-needed basis. All horizontal control on the plant property is tied to a local coordinate grid, with a BM at a known ( and readily relocatable) point in the public RoW, and an assumed bearing on the CL of that public road. Any communication with the owner has to be tied to that grid, ranging from 800 North to 800 South, and 1000 West to 800 East.

Since the property has a real world location, any point on it can be identified by lat-long or state plane coordinates. In my typical day-to-day work, everything is based on state plane. That makes is simpler to bring in aerials, GIS data, adjacent properties, flood zones, etc. Normally the WCS in my drawings is the state plane for that region of the State.

What's the 'best' way to deal with the different schemes, and why?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Plant grid coordinates vs world/state plane

Simply Xref them together, move and rotate as nessisary and keep the coordinate systems seperate. I've never gotten field work in state plane, and have been doing this forever.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Named UCSs along with XREFs, I think. Real-world coordinates are great for large monotlithic projects but when its broken down into multiple smaller sites the separate coordinate systems really help keep everything simple, especially for the managers. I've worked a process plant that had multiple plant coordinate systems; one overall, one for each unit, and a separate system for one end of the plant where the main rack takes off at an odd angle. Even 90 degree offsets at that end of the plant dont make sense in the global coordinates (deltas in X *and* Y, as opposed to just one axis). That was pre-liberal use of GPS, so it was easier for civil/steel construction and operations as well.

Login to Give a bone

That's sorta the direction i've been leaning in, using WCS, assigning the State Plane system in Map, and defining a Plant UCS that uses a different origin and z-xis rotation that matches the plant grid. It's the onkly way I can think of so far to be able to work with both plant data and real-world data, georeferenced aerials, etc.

Is there a straightforward way to copy UCS'es between drawings? Seems that I'd need to be able to access both of the defined coordinate schemes in my base files and my plot sheets, and UCS is not one of the options in Design Center.

Tom: when we hire the surveyor ourselves, putting the survey on state plane is always a contract requirement. Never had a problem getting that from the Keys to Destin (well, ecept for wakulla co ) On this job the client hired the surveyor directly, and is supplying additional as-built information tied to the old system.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Named UCS replication has been on my development list for a while, it should be really easy - an XML file with only a handful of data for each. Keeps getting bumped by a host of minor little things which need doing *now*. You know, the feeling of being so busy you can't get ahead of future work which then keep you busy later preventing getting ahead of other work yaddayadda.