Thread: DWG Import into ArcGIS 10.1

Login to Give a bone

Default DWG Import into ArcGIS 10.1

I have a dwg that needs to be imported into ArcGIS. In doing so, the entities within the dwg are currently located in the correct coordinates. I have stripped out the coordinate information provided by Civil 3D.

Is there a setting or step when importing into ArcGIS that needs to specify the coordinate system for the dwg?
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: DWG Import into ArcGIS 10.1

Nope, You need to export to a shp file(s) from Civil3D if you want the coordinate system to beread. One thing you can do in ArcGIS is use the move/rotate/scale like you would in AutoCAD for an image, but ESRI doesn't know that dwg has a CS assigned.

Edits: Just like AutoCAD the versions and add-on or modules as they call then, may play a difference on importing a DWG format file. If they have the full CAD module there is a reproject tool that can be used during the import or right after wards, look for the reproject tool in the help.
    Last edited by Jmurphy; 2013-02-26 at 11:22 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jmurphy View Post
    Nope, You need to export to a shp file(s) from Civil3D if you want the coordinate system to beread. One thing you can do in ArcGIS is use the move/rotate/scale like you would in AutoCAD for an image, but ESRI doesn't know that dwg has a CS assigned.

Edits: Just like AutoCAD the versions and add-on or modules as they call then, may play a difference on importing a DWG format file. If they have the full CAD module there is a reproject tool that can be used during the import or right after wards, look for the reproject tool in the help.
    That's the problem. I don't even have access to the GIS software. I only have access to Civil 3D.

Are you saying the reproject tool is in ArcGIS or AutoCAD?
    If you have a technical question, please find the appropriate forum and ask it there.
    You will get a quicker response from your fellow AUGI members than if you sent it to me via a PM or email.
    jUSt

Login to Give a bone

There is one in ArcGIS as long as they have the module for it. It's more of a "align" than the reprocect tools in Civil3d/Map3D.