See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Long Term MicroStation user learning AutoCAD 2013

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Long Term MicroStation user learning AutoCAD 2013

Quote Originally Posted by blothian View Post
    I wouldn't say having an AutoCAD equivalent of a MS Fence is something I need (though it would be nice!) but I'm sure you will appreciate that a fair part of my learning of AutoCAD will be based on knowledge of MS as many of the tools will perform in the same way but at the same time I'm here to learn how to understand how to go about the same task in AutoCAD. I'm familiar with the standard implied windowing and other examples you stated though lisp routines are still a grey area to me at this early stage.

All elements are available to be stretched whenever the boundary passes over an elements endpoints however to prevent this you can either:
    • Isolate the elements you only want to stretch using a displayset
    • Lock individual elements in the affected area that you dont want stretched
    • Lock layers (less likely due to the other alternatives being being simpler)

The MS fence is a transient aid for complex element manipulation and unlike a normal MS or AutoCAD selection boundary (be it window/crossing/AutoCAD Fence etc...) it remains on-screen even after any view operations and can be moved, modified or saved for future use prior to starting any fence-aided operation(fence stretch/Fence move/fence copy etc..). The fence boundary has a number of selection modes which affect how any future commands act upon elements that the fence either contains and/or overlaps. If you want to understand it a bit more you can check out here and here.

From what I have seen so far, I don't think AutoCAD has got an equivalent though it would be good if it does.
    You'll find there are so many different ways to do anything in AutoCAD it's hard to answer a question unless it's very specific. Enter SELECT at the command line and hit F1. From the posts you referenced WPolygon, CPolygon, and Remove would be the way to do the same in AutoCAD. From what I can tell Lock in MS is the same as Remove in AutoCAD. Does MS have an equivalent to Locked Layers in AutoCAD? I can see where it can be confusing to switch products when one term means different things in each software.

Login to Give a bone

or even the same term in the same product line with different meanings -- comapare a REGION in vanilla, with a Region in C3D

confusion is the name of the game i guess

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    or even the same term in the same product line with different meanings -- comapare a REGION in vanilla, with a Region in C3D

confusion is the name of the game i guess
    Not to mention Viewport in paperspace versus Viewport in modelspace.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Beauford View Post
    You'll find there are so many different ways to do anything in AutoCAD it's hard to answer a question unless it's very specific. Enter SELECT at the command line and hit F1. From the posts you referenced WPolygon, CPolygon, and Remove would be the way to do the same in AutoCAD. From what I can tell Lock in MS is the same as Remove in AutoCAD. Does MS have an equivalent to Locked Layers in AutoCAD? I can see where it can be confusing to switch products when one term means different things in each software.
    Yeah MS can lock by layers and/or on a per individual element basis so you have complete flexibility to suit whatever the task.

I think I can now draw safely say I know what I'm doing when it comes to stretching elements so long as I remember how the crossing appearance changes. Just to close the issue I've made a couple of clips to clarify what I've been saying and to answer any queries on the MS perspective.

This is the MS Power selector which is a single tool with a variety of selection methods and modes: Single Element selection & Implied windowing, selection via rectangle, selection via polygon, selection via Circle and selection via line. On the bottom row of the toolbox are selection modes: New (Clears the current selection set and starts a new selection set), Add (click on elements to keep selecting), Subtract (click on elements to deselect them), Invert (inverts element selection status), Clear (deselect all). You can see the operations being demonstrated on this OS Map and from 0:33 to 0:39 I've also shown how you can toggle between a crossing and window on-the-fly (granted this is only a rectangle but it works with polygon and circle as well).

This clip is an example of the aforementioned MS Fence and I've tried to demonstrate how it differs from traditional element selection and some of the fence operations that go along with it. Again the complex OS map provides a decent amount of geometry so you can see how the fence mode performs regardless of the shape of the fence. I've also shown how you can change the shape of the fence by either single vertice position, change multiple vertices positions (keep existing adjacent angles the same) and moving the entire fence position. So, now that you have seen it in action, does AutoCAD have such a tool?
    Last edited by blothian; 2013-06-17 at 09:58 AM.

Login to Give a bone

AutoCad's SELECT command does not have Circel or Invert options, nor can you toggle between Windows and Crossing modes on the fly. Therre have been times an Invert option would be handy, but other than that, the differences don't matter.

uStn Fence is an interesting tool, and one that does not have a direct equivalent in AutoCAD. Perhaps I would miss it if I had used it, but as it is, everything that I need to do that I would use a uStn style FENCE for, I can already accomplish in other ways. It does look like something that could be recreated in LISP using a temporary Pline. so if it's that important, you might try the Customization group and see if anyone is interested in writing one.

Login to Give a bone

@blothian. Just in case you're not aware - typing c at the Select objects prompt will create a crossing window from the next two picks allowing you to pick left-to-right or right-to-left.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    The thing with uStn and Acad is that they get to similar end results, but the language and grammar are very different - rather like French and German. Love poetry in German sounds like rhinos mating, while reading a menu aloud in French sounds like love poetry.
    And coffee coming out of my nose isn't pretty in any language!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345