See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Long Term MicroStation user learning AutoCAD 2013

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Long Term MicroStation user learning AutoCAD 2013

Is it just me or does the Ortho Mode just not work as it should? I've got an existing DWG that I need to amend and I'm trying to use stretch a few elements vertically with ortho mode on and whenever I snap to the element that should define the extent of the stretch operation, the elements move horizontal as well which they should not. The only way I have been able to keep the elements move only vertically is to use object snap tracking which is not exactly desirable. You can see the behaviour here.

In MicroStation there is a similar feature on the accudraw which does completely restrict the direction of travel for any operation regardless of where the end stretch point is located and I was wonder if that is possible in AutoCAD?
    Last edited by blothian; 2013-06-11 at 03:08 PM.

Login to Give a bone

If you are using Osnap to identify the extent of the stretch operation, then the Osnap values over ride the Orthomode. If you want to absolutely contrain the stretch on the fly, you can look into the dot x, dot y, and dot z filters.

So if I want to stretch an entity so that the selected point only moves in the Y axis but ends up with the same Y value an an object over on the left, I can use the dot filters. When prompted for a base point, pick the point to to use as the base, and for the second point, key in .x <enter> @<enter> and the use Osnapos to identify the point that you want as the Y value.

How this works: the dot filters will extract the portion of the picked point that corresponds to the filter, and then asks for the remaining values. I can stack the filters, and use .xz and pick a point,and then proivde a Y value, or use .y as the filter and then pick a point to provide the X&Z values.

btw - The @ symbol when used as a response to a point prompt, means "use the last point picked".

They are pretty slick and highky useful, especially combined with Osnaps.

Login to Give a bone

Hi cadtag, thanks for the reply. I've just tried it out and it works nicely, though having to use a key-in and remembering what key-in to use depending of desired direction of travel will take a while to sink in. Here you can see the MS alternative and how much more intuitive it is, following selecting the base point all you need to do is press enter after moving the cursor in the desired direction of travel (This works for any xyz direction and on the fly rotations as well so no need to remember any key-in combo's).

Another thing I was wondering, is there a button to toggle the direction of a crossing & window during a selection operation?
    Last edited by blothian; 2013-06-11 at 03:32 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Filters are handy. and x y & z aer really pretty easy to remember -- they are after all the only directions in CAD. (all this other stuff is just user friendliness for those who don't do trig and calculus instantly in our heads)

As to how the priorities for point selection are set, that's a developer decision. Adesk's people decided that osnaps would rule over ortho, regardless of whether it's enabled with Orthomode or the shift key.

the direction of crossing window vs window is programmer determined when you are doing implied windowing. If you preface the selection with a C for crossing or a W for Window, diection is whatever you want. Note that works when in a prompt that's asking for a selection -- a C or W at a empty command prompt will get you whatever those shortcuts are aliased to. Circle and Wblock in my case.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    the direction of crossing window vs window is programmer determined when you are doing implied windowing. If you preface the selection with a C for crossing or a W for Window, diection is whatever you want. Note that works when in a prompt that's asking for a selection -- a C or W at a empty command prompt will get you whatever those shortcuts are aliased to. Circle and Wblock in my case.
    I'm familiar with the choice of Window or Crossing polygon but what I was meaning is that say you choose window polygon and have almost completed the placing all the points that define the shape of the polygon but you now wish to change it to a crossing polygon, can you do so via a button toggle/key-in without having to redraw the polygon?

Login to Give a bone

no, I don't believe there's a ready way to accomplish changing modes like that in the middle of defining a CP or WP. But that's a different question than changing the direction of selection mode.

I can't say i've ever felt the need to do either of them...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    But that's a different question than changing the direction of selection mode.
    Perhaps it could have been phrased slightly better but by writing it as I did I was attempting to explain the behaviour of the selection outline when the direction is changed during implied windowing.

I've been using the point filters quite a bit this morning and I think I'm now beginning to get a feel for drawing in AutoCAD thanks to your advice. Its slowish progress which I expected but there are also a couple of odd things which I've ran into:

1) I cannot seem to eliminate view operations from the undo stack. This is pretty annoying that if a change is made to a view (zoom/pan etc..) after another completing another command and I want to undo said command, the view changes are also undone rather than remaining in the current position. There really is no benefit to not controlling view operations via a their own undo stack or at least provide variable to let this behaviour be toggled on user preference.

2) Stretch command acting like move command. Not sure why but if I chose some elements to stretch that are overlapping other elements on a drawing (which are unselected) the stretch command moves the entire element instead of endpoints only. If I isolate the elements and repeat the command it works as expected; very strange behaviour though I'm not sure if that is 'works as designed'.

Login to Give a bone

One other final question before I head home, on this clip I have a shape which I want to stretch 5 segments in vertically in a single operation (2 horizontal lines, 1 vertical, 2 45 degree chamfer lines). How is this achieved in AutoCAD???

Login to Give a bone

Looking at that clip, adesk would wpuld the same way -- put a crossing window around the horizontal bar, and include the endpoints of everthing you want to stretch.

1) As far as the idea of ignoring view operations in the undo stack, that's been discussed in the wishlist both pros and cons. personally i'd be opposed and think it would create far more problems that the seconds it might save. YMMV

2) That doesn't sound right - unless the other objects are grouped, using constraints, or part of a block. If you cand repeat that -- post a sample drawing exhibiting the behavior so we can look at it.

Login to Give a bone

If you know the distance that you want to move or stretch you can pick, drag cursor in the right direction and type the value.

Stretch depends on selecting one/some defining points AND NOT other(s).
    If you select (say) both endpoints of a line, the line will move.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast