See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MEP Riser Diagrams [help!]

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: MEP Riser Diagrams [help!]

I've been very happy with doing our Plumbing isometric diagrams in Revit. I took a spin on how a lego instruction manual is set up to "tie together" several 3D slices of a bathroom group. For example, I had one very large bathroom group that was five 3D views, each an incremental slice across the bathroom. Those views are spread out on the sheet and lined up. Then I use detail lines to show where things connect to each other.

Here's an example of a smaller bathroom group that conveys the idea:
    Isometric Diagram in Revit.PNG

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Cool example, it helps to be willing to look at things again and possibly differently.

Login to Give a bone

Nice.. do you get any flack from city/code officials / AHJ's with this type of representation? It'd be interesting to know if there are jurisdications that hisorically required 'traditional' isometrics, but have since come arround to accepting 3D views.

Login to Give a bone

No, we haven't had any issues at all in that regard.

In fact, since any changes made to the piping are reflected immediately we're very easily able to include the floor plan and isometric for any code review sketches we make (or addendum, etc.). That by itself makes it appear that we're going above and beyond the standard in regards to documentation, which maybe we are - just at no additional cost.

Login to Give a bone

We have been submitting similar schematics for close to two years and we have not had a single comment from a code reviewer. It will take some work to make it readable but it really does save time in the process and I have even gotten to the point where I use the schematic to help lay out the system and get it all done in one shot.

Login to Give a bone

Would Ghosting the walls and floors help to see what angle you are looking at it?

I've done some things like that in school (in AutoCAD), and it was always funny to me that they would just get it not knowing what angle I was looking at it and all... I wondered if the plumber would actually follow it or not...

But I guess once you get the eye for it, it is no problem.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by USMCBody View Post
    Would Ghosting the walls and floors help to see what angle you are looking at it?
    That's an interesting question... historically, how would one convey what angle they are looking at in a 'conventional' schematic? Could the same not be done with the 3D view representations?

Login to Give a bone

From what I was told, and understand. There are some design bits that key you into a toilet connection, shower, and sink. Once you get your locations on the floor plan of the bathrooms everything else tends to fall into place. It's just like doing a puzzle. fill in what you know and the rest you can find out.

The one thing is that you HAVE to study the blueprints. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for studying blueprints and taking a while to understand the blue print language, but in the same aspect, I'm a drafter and my basic job is to be creative to help blueprints read better... I don't know what path would be better in the long run. The path I'm suggesting is maybe not to good for people with short attention spans... Kind of comes with this new age we are in so hay... maybe a 3D key map would be better..

There really is no easy answer here I guess...

Login to Give a bone

As I understand it at schematic is primarly used to show connectivity (what connects to what) and sizing. Schematics should not be used to determine where fixtures are located in the floor plan. It seems that adding additional elements into the schematic would clutter them and somewhat defeat the purpose of a schematic (although I would be curious to see an example with walls). As long as I have been reading schematics it have always been able to determine which fixture is which by also referencing the floor plan, and leave the schematic as nothing more than what it is, which is a simple representation of the piping arrangement for clarity and sizing purposes.

Login to Give a bone

I tried several options with ghosting walls, floors, etc. It felt very cluttered and as zbrown mentioned somewhat defeated the purpose of the schematic. I have ghosted any mechanical equipment connected to piping such as a grease interceptor to allow the piping behind it to remain visible. That worked very well.

Of course, as soon as Revit allows line breaks in a 3D view the same as a in floor plan view then I can use that setting with single line piping (coarse view) to get even closer to a traditional isometric diagram...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12