Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternating pattern with checkerboard pattern based curtain wall?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Alternating pattern with checkerboard pattern based curtain wall?

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    it's a precast concrete panel, that follows a regular pattern, repetitive.
    If you look closely, it is not a regular pattern. Look at the direction of the angles. If it were regular, you'd always have a diagonal up, then down, then up, then down, etc. In fact, you'll see a number of places where you get two or more diagonal ups or downs in a row. Nothing too complicated, but adds to the complexity and cannot be a purely pattern-based curtain panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    The ins and outs of the volume of the panel could be done in Revit, too. It would take some time to do one of them carefully, but I insist, all this is doable in Revit.
    I don't doubt, nor do I think graphite doubts, that this could be done in Revit. The "ins and outs" on the panels that are represented by the colors in the image graphite shows, are are quite varied. They look like relatively straight-forward forms that could be modeled in Revit, yes. The composition of them is quite complex and could be done manually with quite a bit of time. My question is not just how you can do it in Revit, but how did they do it in another program and was it more automated?

I think this is a fascinating case to explore in Revit on a number of fronts. I think we can all agree it would be possible. My thoughts go to efficiency of designing this: can we explain when and why the exceptions in the large pattern occur? What is the best method for addressing these exceptions? Can we explain when and why the smaller extrusions/"ins and outs" occur, what is their logic, and what is the best and most efficient method for adding them, modifying them, etc.

Graphite, what do you know about the exceptions to the large pattern?
    What do you know about the generation of the smaller pattern? Do any of the articles mention how they decide where to play what extrusion? Did they generate it based on an algorithm? Or something else?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by damon.sidel View Post
    If you look closely, it is not a regular pattern. Look at the direction of the angles. If it were regular, you'd always have a diagonal up, then down, then up, then down, etc. In fact, you'll see a number of places where you get two or more diagonal ups or downs in a row. Nothing too complicated, but adds to the complexity and cannot be a purely pattern-based curtain panel....
    yes, there are different rows with different patterns, but the number of different patterns is not too many, and each type of pattern could be a type of curtain pattern based panel or curtain wall panel.

Login to Give a bone

graphite, I wonder about the trapezoid-parallelogram pattern... is that really what the panels are? From this colorful image, there the extrusions seem to be based on a staggered, rectangular grid pattern. Two thoughts on this: (a) Could you model the whole thing based on a staggered, rectangular grid (and therefore not have fractional extrusions) and then add the trapezoidal joint in another manner? or (b) could you create TWO facades, one with the trap-paral pattern of large panels and a second applied facade of a staggered rectangular grid of the extrusions?
    From what I can tell each trap or Para panel has the same application of textured pieces within a standard module width with varying heights. The repetition of the texture between similar type panels can be seen here circled in red. This being said I would imagine there are probably three types for each panel1)no texture 2) large amounts of texture 3) less texture. I think this "family" approach is probably what took place as it would be much easier in the fabrication process to itemize and account for all extrusions needed for panel X. Also based on this second image it would seem that these panels were documented in such a way to note possible custom extrusions at the ends needed to create continuity between panels. The synosis blog also speaks about a total of only 20 individual textural pieces for the whole project. "Those 20 types would literally be constructed into 20 unique plywood and masonite molds, into which could be cast multiple flexible reusable formliners. These formliners were then placed into rectangular, flat forms, and arranged in groups to match the patterning logic clearly laid out in Morphosis construction drawings."

A) Would voids within a family be a possibility?
    B) Since the extrusions are based upon the panel I dont think this would be as effective.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

If you look closely, it is not a regular pattern.
    Definitely not a regular pattern. It seems to be repeating bands on the one face but the other face there are less bands to work with. I have attempted a number of ways to model this so far:

1)textural pieces (adaptive component family- multiple types to create perceived sweep) hosted to rectangular face (adaptive component) hosted to larger adaptive componenet multiple times in both parrallelogram and trapezoidal shapes to create banding pattern A. Repeat process and vary pattern to create banding pattern B.= Shaping the adpative panel with hosted extrusions did not like it when I made the sides angled in the case of both the parra and trap shapes.
    2) curtain panel pattern= did not work
    3)Adaptive panel with hosted adaptive extrusions hosted to mass with subdivided surface. worked for planar surfaces but organic geometry proves problematic if adaptive panel does not have enough adaptive points. I would imagine the hosted textural pieces would inherit the same problems the panel encountered.
    4) Curtain panel subdivided surface with adaptive modules.
    So far option 4 has been the closest to providing trapezoidal and parralellogram geometry with textural pieces hosted. However pushing this geometry into a non-repetitive pattern still seems to be the issue.
    CUBE pattern-1-l.jpg
    panel.JPG

Login to Give a bone

On another note, how would simply paneling an organic form such as the interior work? Would adaptive component with 10+ points placed as repeater be needed to adapt to all the curvature?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by graphite; 2013-03-07 at 02:55 AM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

graphite, that's quite the adaptive component panel you have there. It adapts correctly to a non-rectangular grid?!

I don't see an option that you tried that creates two separate divided surfaces, one for the large trapezoid/parallelogram pattern and a second for the textural pieces. Based on the colorful image you posted earlier, it looks like the two patterns are quite independent and it could be helpful to keep them that way.

As for the organic form you are showing here, I'm stumped on this one. I'd definitely like to see what you come up with. The 10-point adaptive component may very well work, but you'll definitely be doing this manually.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12