Thread: How to Manage my over growing Auto CAD files

Login to Give a bone

Question How to Manage my over growing Auto CAD files

when I started to create files in my local drive 12-years ago, I did not consider standard way of naming it. Instead, I use my initial + numbers+ description words related to the Projects or building names of the Facility of more than 20-buildings. So far I created more than 350 files and still growing. Some files contain lots of tab layout pages (Electrical, Mechanical and other misc. details) and inserted x-reference files from other folders. What is the best way to re-organize current files so I can maintain a systematic filing library? I will appreciate any help or advise. Thanks,

Ted
    AutoCAD-2011 User.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to Manage my over growing Auto CAD files

Folders with project numbers and/or names is often a good place to start.
    If you have repeating clients you might want client names for the top-level folders.
    Do your initials actually convey any useful information? If not, dump them.

Login to Give a bone

You should look into the Sheet Set Manager, SEE THIS TUTORIAL-BEST PRACTICES SHEET SET MANAGER.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Detsenira View Post
    when I started to create files in my local drive 12-years ago, I did not consider standard way of naming it. Instead, I use my initial + numbers+ description words related to the Projects or building names of the Facility of more than 20-buildings. So far I created more than 350 files and still growing. Some files contain lots of tab layout pages (Electrical, Mechanical and other misc. details) and inserted x-reference files from other folders. What is the best way to re-organize current files so I can maintain a systematic filing library? I will appreciate any help or advise. Thanks,

Ted
    AutoCAD-2011 User.
    Ted,

Aaaah, I've been there and done that.

One note that I will make is that I only have one layout tab per file, it keeps things easier for my mechanics when they're looking for something specific (while I do make exceptions for files that only I will use, my CAD Standards dictate this, and that the plotted sheet name is reflected in the dwg name. such as 13c001_M1.dwg ). So, the electricians only open up files with an E in the name, etc.

I should have a diagram of my file layout here somewhere...

ScreenShot672.jpg
    ScreenShot673.jpg

The first diagram outlines the basic structure, the second diagram is real samples from one of my campuses.

Most people can get themselves to the right building, and I took notes during user training that led me to realize that the guys tend to care about the age of the projects first and foremost (like they want the oldest one or the newest one), so you see that reflected in my folder naming first, then the floor, then the project name (we don't use project number for the file structure, because those don't mean anything to our users, as construction is managed by a different department).

PSA: and, of course, the first thing I tell people is... get that off your hard drive and onto a network. If your IT department doesn't have a network drive that it backs up regularly, get yourself a portable hard drive with some automatic backup software and use that, always have at least two copies of all of those.
    Say a guy at our smaller hospital gets fired and his computer gets re-appropriated and no one realizes until it's too late that their entire CAD library was on it? Too possible... not to mention hard drive failure, etc. / nag mode.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Oh, and I also have a database (just made in access, easy-peasy) tracking both my blueprints and my CAD files.
    Boss also had the admins start using it for managing O&M manuals & Specs, too. Easy to run a report on any project that affected a floor and see what docs we've got on it.
    Here's a screenshot of my Access form, and a page from my training tutorial on what information is contained in each field.

ScreenShot675.jpg
    ScreenShot674.jpg
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by slw210 View Post
    You should look into the Sheet Set Manager, SEE THIS TUTORIAL-BEST PRACTICES SHEET SET MANAGER.
    I agree.

Each of my "Discipline"-based composites is a part of a sheet set. Makes it easy to find stuff close together, and super duper easy to plot or etransmit sets, or parts of sets.

ScreenShot677.jpg
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Technical Editor

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Consider your project folder structure as a document management system. The goal of a document management system is to quickly and easily save, maintain, and find files for any current and future purposes.

Our particular use case for this is by creating subfolders for each different division of our firm, multiple purposes of drawing files, and the structure of our references within producution drawings. All of this is contained within year-based > project-based folder tiers. For our purposes, it makes files easy to find and defines a predictable way for all users to save and maintain files for their particular purposes.

I've included a screenshot below as a reference.

http://sdrv.ms/13EVY3O