Thread: Creating Details (3D) & Resize Crop View

Login to Give a bone

Question Creating Details (3D) & Resize Crop View

So I'm making my way toward the end of the project,

Where now I have to create details in the Drafting View (Detail) section of the Project Browser

I saw in a video tutorial that in order create an isometric detail first you must create a Section View of the component. For the sake of this post my example is a Linear Plenum Box with duct connection.
    Then, in the 3D View you orient to the Section isometrically
    Finally you create your detail Sheet and drag the 3D view of the section into the drawing sheet.

Problem is the detailed lines does not snap into the 3D view. Understandable since it is simply a cropped view of the entire mechanical model.
    Another problem is, if I decide I want to change to view scale,...well there goes all my line and text work, it's all screwed up!!! >

In ACAD all I have to do is scale all objects...is there a way to allow Revit to scale all my line and text and also if I can make the 3D isometric section view independent so I can snap lines to it?

And how do I make my crop view smaller? Takes all the space when I want right-click drag all my modeled items. you can see it in the image with the big white lined box. The smaller lines is my modeled lines
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating Details (3D) & Resize Crop View

Came back in 20 seconds...
    Resizing Crop View/Region was easy..
    Figured it out from Autodesk Wikihelp
    Just go to 3D view of section and check crop view in Properties and resize...took care of that...but as for the rest of the question, help!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Not sure that you really need to do this in a Detail View, and you've already discovered some of the limitations. Have you tried creating a 3D Model View and just annotating it there? You have to Save & Lock the view to do so (from the View Control bar), but I've seen this approach used successfully for Plumbing Riser Diagrams. Oblique text isn't an option yet, but you can at least convey the information necessary. Turn off what you don't need in the view and you'll get results pretty close to what you probably saw in AutoCAD. Note this functionality was added in 2012, so any prior versions were even more of a headache.

Login to Give a bone

I pretty much already done much of what you suggested except locking the view. Good tip.
    So its looks like in order to create a 3D detail using the model, you must hide elements and drag into your drawing sheet. It was simply enough for me, but I like categorizing things. I feel as though the 3D view should be part of the Drafting View (detail). But I'm glad to be using 2013 and not anything before 2012

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by persaudchris358036 View Post
    I pretty much already done much of what you suggested except locking the view. Good tip.
    So its looks like in order to create a 3D detail using the model, you must hide elements and drag into your drawing sheet. It was simply enough for me, but I like categorizing things. I feel as though the 3D view should be part of the Drafting View (detail). But I'm glad to be using 2013 and not anything before 2012
    FYI locking the view is a requirement in order to save the annotation, but you may have already discovered that You can unlock it any time and change the orientation or magnification of the view, but the annotation will disappear. This freaks people out the 1st time lol. Once you restore and relock the view, the annotation returns. So, make sure your view is set the way you want before you lock it.

Login to Give a bone

Followed your instructions. It works pretty simply. Didn't freak out (although I have on other things). Thanks Misteracad