Thread: Line Based Family Connection

Login to Give a bone

Default Line Based Family Connection

I have a generic model line based family that is blocking for a window. I would like the intersection of jamb and sill to be butted. However, I can't get them connected cleanly. Revit seems to want me to go long or short, but not cleanly aligned. I tried using reference planes, but that doesn't work either. I prefer not to have to extend this piece long just to make it work because then it is technically in conflict with the jamb stud.
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Line Based Family Connection

It should not be a problem. It depends how the line-based family was created. Is the solid on top of the line or below, or centered? That makes a difference in how the line-based family behaves in the project when you do a continuous chain of segments. Join geometry can help with the corners, also.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Did you simply try the Align tool? I dont seem to have a problem as long as i use the proper plane placement

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for the responses. I attached a sample file that includes the family. I realized that changing to faced based instead of work plane based gives me a little better result. At least I can get cleanly inside the metal framing, but the join on the blocking itself still isn't clean. It's overlapped and I cannot get it to align correctly. Any ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Really strange... I found that if I make the head and sill work plane based and the jambs face based I can achieve the desired result.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Might be a stupid question but why don't you just bundle those in the windows families?

Login to Give a bone

Not a stupid question. I am building a virtual wall mock-up for construction use. I construct the mock-up piece by piece, individual bricks for coursing, individual stones, pieces of flashing (accurately model flashing laps and end dams), individual walls for all the layers of the actual wall like sheathing, air barier, rigid insulation, everything is it's own item. With this I can evaluate exterior enclosure constructability like sequence, interface of materials, and coordinate all the trades. I ultimately take this to navisworks to sequence, but have been considering attempting a sequence within revit using phasing (although it wouldn't be animated it would be a series of stills). In the end I can isolate the systems and provide every trade a drawing showing their system. I don't detail their actual systems, but I can confidently provide them dimensions to the extent of their systems because I have a coordinated model rather than multiple pages of architectural/structural details and separate trades' shop drawings that are not necessarily coordinated for the mock-up we are constructing.

Including the blocking in the window family might work to get it in the right place, but I think it would limit the ability to sequence since blocking is in prior and then Tyvek and flexible flashings wrap and then a lot of other systems install prior to actual window installation.