Thread: Ongoing Training for current employees

Login to Give a bone

Default Ongoing Training for current employees

I was curious if anyone can share their methods for ongiong education within the company. I am in a position where we need to hold a monthly CAD meeting to keep the employees up to date with tips, tricks and maybe some standards. Just trying to figure out a way to structure it.

thanks

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Ongoing Training for current employees

My office holds "CAD lunches" about once a month where the company foots the bill for lunch and someone teaches a particular topic. When we have new software to learn (currently Revit) we have two hour sessions twice a week. These come complete with tests and consequences if one doesn't do their practice and homework. Our advantage is that we have a training room and two Autodesk certified teachers on staff but I think knowledge can be shared similarly anywhere.

In addition, I keep current with Tip and Tricks and send out an in-house e-mail sharing anything that I find pertinent to the work we do.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I agree with Tom. I followed a similar methodology at my previous employer, but we used SharePoint to share Tips & Tricks daily as I or the users discovered them.

Quick note about the Lunch 'N Learn sessions. It's really nice when the company foots the bill for the food and drinks. Yes, you can sometimes convince users to 'brown bag' it, but having pizza or something encourages employees to come for the free food, not just the education. It sets the tone, and shows that the company is serious and wants its employees there. Over time people will see the value and come regardless of whether there is free food or not.

Login to Give a bone

thanks for the insight. About what I was expecting, I don't have the luxury of an in house Autodesk trainer but I figure as long as I am aware of the issues or compaints regarding CAD then I can address those in the monthly meeting to clear things up. I also plan (like you both suggested) to create a tips and tricks section on our network for people to reference. I need to get to work!!

Login to Give a bone

Ditto what tsigler & Misteracad said.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

" I don't have the luxury of an in house Autodesk trainer "

Few offices do but every office has their CAD "guru". Once he/she starts, others will be happy to teach a class on an aspect of CAD that they feel particularly adept at.