Thread: How to pull in architects ceiling for use?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default How to pull in architects ceiling for use?

Hello all,
    Architect sent over plans with ceilings. We are using lights which are hosted, what is the process for importing/copying the ceilings so that we can use them?

I've checked several books, manuals, and posts, still unable to find an answer.

Thanks,
    Andre

FYI - I am not in the electrical department, I am in the Mech Department. We have been using non hosted diffusers comfortably for about 4 years.
    I am open to any criticisms or suggestions.
    Last edited by ReachAndre; 2013-03-07 at 08:15 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to pull in architects ceiling for use?

Quote Originally Posted by ReachAndre View Post
    Hello all,
    Architect sent over plans with ceilings. We are using lights which are hosted, what is the process for importing/copying the ceilings so that we can use them?

I've checked several books, manuals, and posts, still unable to find an answer.

Thanks,
    Andre
    I reaaaally wouldn't do this, but you could just copy/paste them from their project to yours. It's a much better idea to use non-ceiling hosted lights though. Maybe some day they'll give us the ability to copy/monitor ceilings, but until then I would leave them in the architectural model.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by AaronC View Post
    I reaaaally wouldn't do this, but you could just copy/paste them from their project to yours. ....I would leave them in the architectural model.
    Thanks, a few question though.
    1. What's wrong with copying their ceilings?
    2. If we placed our lights in the arch model, what's the process for when we receive new arch models?

Thanks again,
    Andre

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ReachAndre View Post
    Thanks, a few question though.
    1. What's wrong with copying their ceilings?
    2. If we placed our lights in the arch model, what's the process for when we receive new arch models?

Thanks again,
    Andre
    Copying their ceilings is a coordination issue for me - if they decided to raise or lower a ceiling by a few inches, or change a ceiling type, you're going to have to go through your entire model to reflect those changes. I'd rather let the architect dictate the ceilings, and we'll just place a face or workplane-based light on their ceilings.

You can either utilize the copy/monitor function to get the linked model's lights into your model (this will alert you if fixtures move or are deleted, but you can still circuit them), or just place lights on top of theirs and turn off lighting fixtures in the linked model.

Copy/monitor does have some issues, especially if you have already circuited the lights. If the architect decides to change a light type, it will disconnect those lights from the circuit and you'll have to redo it.

Login to Give a bone

Wow, would I never ever copy ceilings. They move way too much. For that matter, we hate having lights in the ARCH model as well - we'll work with them on fixture selection, but final layouts and everything else are in our control. Unless they want to do the light level and energy calcs. I'd recommend using unhosted or face-based families.

Login to Give a bone

i agree with Ben, place your own lights (face based families) right on their linked ceilings in your model. if the arch has lights in their model, you can use that as an example, but then have them delete theirs and link in yours for their ceiling plans.
    hth
    mike

Login to Give a bone

Do not copy the Architect's ceilings...period. Others have already provided reasons, but it's just bad practice. You must not be looking at the right books lol!

If you choose to Copy/Monitor the Architect's light fixtures...using Batch Copy within Revit MEP...you will get the best results if you use the 'Copy Original' method as opposed to Type Mapping. However, in order to do that, you need to provide the Architect with copies of your MEP lights/fixtures. That way when you Copy/Monitor fixtures from the Architectural model, you're actually copying your own stuff that can be circuited. That being said, there are still issues with the Batch Copy tool that have been documented well in the Forums. Highly recommend you do your homework.