Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to control underlay view?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Is there a way to control underlay view?

I only want to show the walls of the of the level that is underlayed. However everything including the doors and components are showing right now. How do I get around this?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Is there a way to control underlay view?

Underlay is a take what you get type of feature. It is intended to help with layout rather than be a tool to display/represent elements. You can turn on the underlay and then use the linework tool to modify/tunr on the lines you want to see from the underlay into detail lines in the current view. You can then turn the visibility of the underlay off and the edgeds you used the linework tool on will remain. The lines will also change parmetrically to any changes made to the underlay geometry.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by JaneKimAIA364765 View Post
    I only want to show the walls of the of the level that is underlayed. However everything including the doors and components are showing right now. How do I get around this?
    Another way could be to place a View on top of another view on a Sheet, and use halftone graphics overrides to make the "underlay" view softer.
    This way you can control visibility of each plan separately to achieve the graphics you need.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cliff collins View Post
    Another way could be to place a View on top of another view on a Sheet, and use halftone graphics overrides to make the "underlay" view softer.
    This way you can control visibility of each plan separately to achieve the graphics you need.
    One thing that I have found is that if you have objects in the same place in different views, you want to pay attention to the order in which you add them to the sheet. Basically, in my experience, when I bring the halftone view in second, it basically sits on top of the other view. I haven't found a way to "bring to front" or "send to back" with views on a sheet, so i usually just remove the bottom view and place it again and it sits on top. If you aren't having this issue, lucky you, I just thought it might be something worth sharing. it could also be a video card issue on my side, I don't really know.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You cannot control View Order with Views on Sheet Devin.
    Underlay cannot be controlled through Visibility/Graphics, the only thing you can control is the graphical look of it.
    Adjusting View Range might get you want you want though.

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Would have been nice if you could add a Filter to the level so you can omit all objects (except say walls) which are on a level "Below current". Unfortunately you can only specify a level's name in the filter - not a "smart name" like "Level Below" as you can in the View Range settings. So even going with this route means you'll neead filters for each level individually.

But definitely the double views on top of each other is the most controllable work-around. And yes I also miss the send-to-back / bring-to-front on views on a sheet. Also don't know of any other way than to delete the bottom view and place it again in order to swap which shows on top and which below.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Great! Thank you. I'll try it out. Both ways may have some benefits.
    Last edited by JaneKimAIA364765; 2013-03-13 at 02:35 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hi! I've tried to place a view of my second floor on top of my 1st floor plan on a sheet but Revit will not allow me to place views on top of each other. Am I missing a step?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefairy View Post
    ... Revit will not allow me to place views on top of each other. Am I missing a step?
    Huh? Select the view and move it over the other one? If you've got trouble aligning them: you should be able to snap to some of the linework (e.g. grids) in each view so you can align them perfectly.

Remember any one single view is only allowed to be placed once on one sheet. If you want to place it a second time (on the same or different sheet), you need to duplicate that view (either Duplicate / Dup with Detail / As Dependant).

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

There's no draw order for views. The first one you place on the sheet is the below one and so on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast