Thread: Aligning a model surface pattern on an In Place Mass

Login to Give a bone

Default Aligning a model surface pattern on an In Place Mass

I'm trying to create an In place mass that has a tile pattern that aligns with adjacent items.

Every time I try to align the surface pattern, it moves the entire In Place item.

If I try to edit the Model in Place, aligning the surface pattern adjusts the core geometry of the item.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Aligning a model surface pattern on an In Place Mass

Instead of using the align tool, have you tried just moving the surface pattern? Tab until you select a part of the pattern, then use the move tool. I imagine you'll have to be editing the Model in Place for this to work.

Login to Give a bone

Yea, I also tried simply moving the pattern while editing in place but that also edits the geometry.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

OK, another thought: are you sure you want a Mass? What is this object supposed to represent?

A mass is really used as either a conceptual object, and therefore might not make sense to apply a material to, or as a host for walls, floors, and roofs, in which case you are can manipulate the pattern easily.

If you are trying to make an object, like a piece of furniture, IMHO, it should be an In Place Component or a real family.

Login to Give a bone

I had posted another question yesterday about how best to create a monolithic stair that went up in two perpendicular directions simultaneously and the recommendation was to use a Mass in Place. (The suggestion was to model in place and I thought that meant to creat a mass in place. Maybe there is another way to do this?)

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...L-shaped-stair

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I understand. You are confusing Massing & Site tab > "In-Place Mass" and Home tab > Component > "Model In-Place". You should use the latter, since it creating a family directly in your model.

Masses are special objects that are used for early concept design building massing or to host walls, floors, and roofs as I said in my earlier post. IMO, they should never be use to replace an object that has a model category (walls, stairs, columns, floors, furniture, etc.).

Does that clarify it?

Login to Give a bone

Almost,

I found the Component> Model in Place tab, but I don't see Ramp or Stair as an option for modeling.

There is a Mass option, but that ends up being the same thing as the mass in place option.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Not being able to choose "Stair" as the category will only mean that it won't fall into that category. Choose "Generic Model" instead and model what you want. For Object Style and visibility settings, you'll control this stair-shaped object through the "Generic Model" category.

PS - You can create a Subcategory of "Generic Model", but that's a level of complexity that you probably don't need right now. Create your stair-shaped object as an In-Place Model in the "Generic Model" category, get your patterns working and if you find you need more control over visibility and object style settings, ask those question later.

Login to Give a bone

Great, Thanks again for your help!