See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complex shaped roof

Login to Give a bone

Default Complex shaped roof

Hi all,

I am trying to create some relatively complex roof shapes, and can't seem to figure out the best way to achieve my design in Revit. Here is an elevation of what I am going for:

screenshot20130316at336.png

And section:

screenshot20130316at337.png

So you can see the roofs are shaped in both plan/elevation and section (basically trapezoidal). I first tried to create a mass and use Roof by Face, but on the faces that are close to vertical I got a weird result (mass highlighted in blue):

screenshot20130316at342.png

You can see that they don't appear to be created perpendicular to the face, but rather it looks more related to the Z axis.

I also tried to create the roof by extrusion, but I can't figure out a good way to trim it in plan/elevation. I know there's the Vertical Opening tool, but again that's as if you took a cookie cutter and sliced straight down on the roof (i.e. you can't get the trapezoidal shape in elevation). It seems like I should be able to do this in Revit: I'm in graduate school and really want to push Revit to achieve a complex design. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

JP

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Complex shaped roof

It looks like some of these roofs are good candidates for Roof by Extrusion, with some cutting done by roof voids. You might also think about not being wedded to the Roof system family. It looks like a roof in function, but it might be easier to make these in the Family Editor as generic models.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean when you say 'roof voids'? I tried creating a Void Mass and using it to cut the roof, but Revit doesn't appear to work that way. Also, using a Vertical opening creates weird results (i.e. it doesn't cut laterally, only vertically).

I will also just try generic Families if this doesn't work.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I would simply model the roof InPlace

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

As Daniel suggests, in-place modelling will give you free reign over solids and voids and it/they can be assigned to the Roof category.

Keep in mind that complex design does not automatically mean good design. Right now the elevation looks kind of like a bad haircut, sorry but you'll be facing a crit sooner or later. What about natural light? The roofing curling over the walls like a page boy haircut, covering up nearly all the vertical surfaces is going to create some strange window conditions? Section is interesting but again is the concept relying solely on artificial light? Skylights?

It is sort of stretching and pushing a Gambrel roof style now. The great variety of shapes on the long elevation just seems a bit too chaotic and forced.

Login to Give a bone

It seems like modeling in place is the best solution, so I will attempt that. As far as roof structure goes, can you achieve the different layers (i.e. deck, insulation, membrane, etc.) by modeling in place? That's mainly why I wanted to actually use a roof type.

I also plan to show the structural framing that support each of these. I haven't used Revit structure in a complicated way like this before - can you attach/align structure to an in-place family?

In respect to the design comments, these wrapping roofs are separated by several feet in elevation, creating clerestories at each overlap. I also am beginning to experiment with some of these being solid wall/roof elements and some being more of a perforated screen, to allow views.

Thank you all for your comments.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Question: Have you tried wall by face on these in lieu of Roof by face? You could accomplish the same thing and it may not be so finicky about the vertical vs horizontal orientation.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Each layer will be much work because you would need to model all layers. I would start with a overall one and then, when the design is more "fixed", start adding the layers.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mthurnauer View Post
    Question: Have you tried wall by face on these in lieu of Roof by face? You could accomplish the same thing and it may not be so finicky about the vertical vs horizontal orientation.
    Interesting, so I would basically have almost horizontal 'walls' at some points. I will try that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dhurtubise View Post
    Each layer will be much work because you would need to model all layers. I would start with a overall one and then, when the design is more "fixed", start adding the layers.
    That makes sense. I think I'll either manually add the layers in my wall section view, or try the wall by face as suggested above.

Thanks for everybody's comments, you've been most helpful.
    Last edited by Spork; 2013-03-19 at 07:26 PM. Reason: add quotes

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Depending on what you're doing, there are a few different options. As others have stated, modeling either by-extrusion or by-face on a mass, or doing an in-place model would all be good solutions if you know that the model won't change. However, if there's any possibility that the roof configuration is going to change, then you should really consider adaptive components. Take a look at Zach Kron's blog (http://buildz.blogspot.com/), where he does walkthroughs of how to leverage adaptive components for design flexibility.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast