Thread: Isolate structural materials?

Login to Give a bone

Default Isolate structural materials?

Has anyone figured out a way to isolate structural materials in a view?
    I work for an architecture firm and we are looking for a solution to try and help out our structural engineers. He wants to find a way that only structural materials will show in plan, however he may in other views like to show finish material as well. I’ve looked into parts and I’m not a big fan of the functionality, I also have no idea if that will work with linking very well. I thought that I could come up with something by using view filters but I’ve had no luck with that either, however I'd really like to go that route if possible because that would mean less work all around for everyone. Please let me know if anyone has a solution for this problem. Copy monitor works but we'd like to have less repetative information in our BIM models

Thanks in Advance!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Isolate structural materials?

Make use of worksets.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Do not understand why the description in most out of box Revit families is blank, I like to add something here.
    Then create filter of objects in families by description. This makes turning on and off of families and family types.
    Some times setting up filter can be a problem with multiple families. but this works as catch all for object descriptions in most cases.

Login to Give a bone

They changed how they do materials in 2013. Prior, the material for things like Beam and columns was set by the family type and if you changed the family type it would change all instances. Someone decided that it would be a good idea to have it instance based (which makes zero sense to me) so now after you've placed a beam or a column you have to change them individually, you can't just change the family type; that will only change the material for newly added members.
    Not a smart move IMHO.
    Edit
    The other option would be to set up a shared parameter for all object types called "structural" maybe.
    You could make this a text parameter if you'd like. Fill out the parameter to a selected value and then you can apply a view filter to affect those items.
    Just a thought