Thread: Cold Form Framing ?

Login to Give a bone

Default Cold Form Framing ?

We have a job that will have load bearing stud walls, cold form joists and a framed floor. There will also be at the top of the walls a boxed system (We will call this a beam) that the slab will pour down into the same depth as the bottom of the joists.
    My question is we would like to have the "beam" as part of the wall system, so that it pops in at the top of the wall, is this possible?
    Also we would like to make the slab system to incorporate the whole floor, (the slab, deck and the joist - but we only want it to show a line for the joist. These joists will not be modeled into our building. Is there a way to do this?

Will Revit allow the wall with the so called "beam" at the top to go thru the slab?

I included a picture of the section so you know what I am talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cold Form Framing ?

you can add beam to top of wall, with wall sweep, you will need to create profile for beam width and depth, then adjust sweep to align with top of wall.
    also you can add layers to your floor to indicate joist depth. but you will have problem with the deck section profile, it will want to run thru the beam.

Login to Give a bone

Can the beam be part of the wall - that is as the wall is put in it automatically puts the beam in at the top of the wall? (So they are one item)

Login to Give a bone

yes, the beam will be part of the wall. start with a new family profile, then load to project. inside of project edit wall. on the wall edit assembly box,
    click on preview button @ lower left corner, on view button toggle to section. now you can add wall sweep. pick the sweeps button.
    now pick profile and pick name of profile, adjust other boxes to put profile at top of wall, adjust height and offset to locate profile to top of wall and center on wall.
    also set material box for concrete. you should see in view section the location of sweep to wall to help fine tune.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by dmahan; 2013-03-27 at 09:00 PM.

Login to Give a bone

dmaham - Thanks for the reply.
    I have a few questiions.
    If a start with a new family profile, which one? (Sorry but I am pretty new to this Revit thing.)

Login to Give a bone

start new family with the profile template or profile-reveal template. I would sketch your beam to the left of vertical reference line.
    a profile should be a closed box with no open sides. Also you can sketch top part of beam with invisible lines for depth of slab.
    latter this will allow you to use the line tool to hide these line segments in your model sections.
    you will need to use fill region to hide deck at the wall beam.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

OMG - dmahan - Thank You so Much!

I will let you know how it goes - I plan on working on it this week end and I will let you know how it goes.

Login to Give a bone

OK - so I worked on this and I got the top of the wall to work. (Thank you so much)
    My question now is on the floor. I added another function (layer) to my floor to symbolize the joist (I just want a line to show up). What would be the best funsction to put this under - I do not want any hatching or shading on it, and I would prefer a medium to a medium-thin line. Any ideas? (see attached image)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

with V/G settings screen, at lower righthand, look for override host layers, check box for cut line styles, then click on edit box, you then can set line weight for the different layers of floor construction. looks like you are also using visual style setting that is shaded, I would recommend using hidden visual style.
    if you plan on using a shaded visual style, then you would need to define a new material for the joist depth area, that has shading that is not dark or lighter color.