Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: multiple floors at same elevation

Login to Give a bone

Default multiple floors at same elevation

Let's think like architects here, in 3D!!!

I have a project with a three story base that covers the site (almost) and two towers growing out of the base like candlesticks on a birthday cake. The two towers have differing FTF heights, and one is taller than the other. However, two of the floors sync at +48.0', although they have different designations - level 4 and level 3M respectively.

When I placed rooms on level 3M and created a room schedule, they are listed as being on level 4! Is this a case of Revit using the first level it finds, or is there a way to distinguish levels that have different names but identical elevations?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: multiple floors at same elevation

Separate levels with different names, use scope boxes to manage which are visible in which elevations. Plans need to be created for each unique level so the rooms inherit the correct level relationships.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Are you making sure the 3D extents of the levels don't span to the other tower?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

You might even consider Linking the two towers into a Master Site/Podium file. Steve's suggestion of separate Levels/Names is right on the money. Same for Grids. And Scope Boxes to control them.

Login to Give a bone

Similar in general concept, the Cosmopolitan project in Las Vegas was done using Revit, by Friedmutter Group. They split the two towers into separate models and the podium spans several floors, about 100' vertically. The structure for podium and parking garage (5 levels) used a different grid than the towers, a 10' thick transfer slab provided the structural grid transition point at the top of the podium. At the time (2006-07) it was purported to be the largest active Revit project in terms of combined file sizes though I've seen much bigger since.

Login to Give a bone

I'm really lost on this one. Rooms entered on level 3M are listed in properties as level 4. The level in the properties window is grayed out, so I can't reassign them to the correct level. Worst of all, the room schedules list everything as level 4. According to the room schedule, there is no level 3M. Yet, I have a section with levels indicated, showing level 3M at +48' and level 4 at +48'. So Revit knows they exist.

I believe Steve when he says scope boxes are the answer, but there are a couple of complications. His 2004 blog from WATG shows a campus of three buildings on a site. But they are orthagonal to each other. My buildings are in a zig-zag pattern. Scope boxes are rectangular only, and I can't arrange a box in a way that doesn't include part of the other tower.

It seems I have to somehow assign the box to level 3M. Right now we don't have grids. The structural engineer is exploring options and we haven't decided on steel, concrete or whatever. We do have levels though. Can I assign a box in elevation to level 3M?

Here is the beast:

Attachment 89654

Login to Give a bone

Scope boxes can be rotated and it isn't necessarily bad if they overlap a bit. They can control the crop region of views but they don't have too. If you orient scope boxes to the angled wings you can assign floor plans and elevations to them so they'll be oriented to match the wing, in other words the view will look like the building is normalized to the sheet, orient to a project north, one of several.

Fwiw, the image looks like every floor line runs into another so they all line up... have they considered a sequential floor designation that just goes from the lowest to highest without repeating a floor name? LL3, LL2, LL1, G, 1, 2, 3 etc... I suppose they have and ruled it out

Another reason while angles and arcs are "bad design" or perhaps bad for documentation?

Added an image, overall plan with scope boxes and then "partial" plans that are assigned to each scope box.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2013-03-27 at 04:57 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    the image looks like every floor line runs into another so they all line up... Another reason while angles and arcs are "bad design" or perhaps bad for documentation?
    The 2 towers closest to the eyepoint have different F2F from the rest of the building and have 2 atriums (atria?). That makes the upper partial floor in each atrium a mezzanine in NYC. There are special considerations in NYC for mezzanines that we want to take advantage of in this project, so naming floor 2M and 3M has a politcal advantage. BTW, the client is the City of NY!

(this is a joke) I would never ask the design team to change the design because Revit couldn't draw it.

Login to Give a bone

I added an image to the previous post after submitting the post initially. The scope boxes can be applied to any view that might benefit while others can be left alone. The Datum assigned to scope boxes will be easy to hide in other views but even they can be overridden to force Revit to show certain datum that needs to be visible, such as in a section where two sectors meet. I think it will help if you create a cartoon set that helps see how the different view scales you'll need will affect documentation. If you are still in concept/schematic design then the cartoon set might be a bit smaller but it's a good idea to contemplate what happens when you move beyond that stage...unless the client says, "hmmm, it's nice...what else have you got for me?"

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    Plans need to be created for each unique level so the rooms inherit the correct level relationships.
    As noted by Steve make sure when you place the rooms they are placed in a floor plan view that has its associated level matching the level you want rooms scheduled on.
    Use Floor Plan Level 3M for those rooms Na d Floor Plan Level 4 for those rooms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast