See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Note Block by sheet

Login to Give a bone

Default Note Block by sheet

I know that with Note Blocks you can create different tags for different types of views, such as a "demo keynote tag" and a "renovation keynote tag" and use them with identical numbering to show different phases on different sheets. the problem is that if I have my building divided into sections and have a total of 55 demo keynotes and 55 renovation keynotes pointing to the same objects, but they don't all appear on all sections of the building.

There appears to be no way to filter them by sheet the way there is with "real" keynotes, which can be numbered sequentially on pages OR filtered by page where only the notes on that sheet appear on that keynote legend for that page.

Since you cannot reference more than one keynote file, I am stuck using Note Blocks since I want them to have the SAME number on both sheets, not D1 .... D55 on the demo sheets and R1 .... R55 on the renovation sheets. The problem is that even if sheet A4.2 uses only 15 of those notes and sheet A4.4 uses 25 of the notes then each page has to have a keynote block schedule that shows ALL 55 keynotes!!!!

Is there a way to filter note block schedule to show what is on each sheet?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Doug D

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Note Block by sheet

There's not an Automated way to do it, but yes, you can.

The key is to add a parameter to your note block object. I usually call this parameter Sheet Number. When you first drop this note block in the view you will need to go into the properties and type the sheet number where the Sheet Number parameter is inside the Note Block. Then just use that same note block and copy it all over. It will retain the sheet number parameter and you won't have to retype it. Then filter in (in the schedule) just those blocks that match the parameter that you added (in this case, the sheet number). Also, if you need to move this view to a different sheet, all you need to do is select one of the note blocks, right click, the Select Similar in View. It will grab all of them and you type in the new sheet number, changing it universally in the view.

Oh, one more thing, make this an Instance parameter or else it will populate with information project wide which you don't want.

So, this is a bit of a manual process, but so is filling in the information in the Note Block object, so it's not a big deal and just a few more seconds of work.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you So Much!!!!!

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Myers View Post
    There's not an Automated way to do it, but yes, you can.

The key is to add a parameter to your note block object. I usually call this parameter Sheet Number. When you first drop this note block in the view you will need to go into the properties and type the sheet number where the Sheet Number parameter is inside the Note Block. Then just use that same note block and copy it all over. It will retain the sheet number parameter and you won't have to retype it. Then filter in (in the schedule) just those blocks that match the parameter that you added (in this case, the sheet number). Also, if you need to move this view to a different sheet, all you need to do is select one of the note blocks, right click, the Select Similar in View. It will grab all of them and you type in the new sheet number, changing it universally in the view.

Oh, one more thing, make this an Instance parameter or else it will populate with information project wide which you don't want.

So, this is a bit of a manual process, but so is filling in the information in the Note Block object, so it's not a big deal and just a few more seconds of work.
    @ Brian Myers
    I’ve gone down the path of creating a custom note block / annotation tag for my keynoting and have it pretty well squared away (have yet to share until I've got it sorted)

What im trying to do now involves filtering the note block schedule by SHEET NO. Ive added the parameter to the family, and can successfully filter using it.. but Im missing something in the grand scheme of things because what I’d like to have is one single Keynote Schedule.. and then be able to drop it onto sheets and have the filter read the SHEET NO. and only display those keynotes that happen on that particular sheet. Im wondering if I will have to have the same number of individual Schedules made to correspond to the number of sheets that I have.. and simply dump Schedule A-401 onto sheet A-401 and Schedule A-402 onto sheet A-402. Each of those schedules would then have the SHEET NO. filter applied. Seems like it should be easier than that, no?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    -Mario