Thread: Can't Save to Central

Login to Give a bone

Default Can't Save to Central

I'm wondering if this is happening to many other people or if anyone else has experience this.
    I'm working on a large project, with many linked files. All files are on our network, no revit server.
    I was working in my local file last night, I was the only one working on that model (based on Worksharing monitor and the fact that no one else was here) and was working successfully, and then I wasn't. All of a sudden I could no longer save to the central file. I could save local, but not to the central. I kept getting the error message that someone else was trying to access the central file. So I hit cancel. 10min later I tried to STC again and got the same message. I saved local, closed out of revit and re-launched revit. I tried to open my local file, and again tried to STC. I got the same error again (file is being accessed by someone else). So I shut down and restarted my workstation. I looked at the file size and it ballooned (gain 100mb for no apparent reason) and I noticed that I only had one link (of the 37+) loaded in at that time. Long story short, I had to open my local file detached and create a new central file. File sized dropped back to where I was expecting it. I worked late into the night with no other issues.
    First question, Has anyone else run into this issue?
    Second question, If no one else is working in a local file of that model, who was "accessing" it?
    Third question, When I came in this morning the Architectural group was unable to save to central while working in the one model that I had loaded in. Any ideas what may have caused that? Did their model corrupt mine, did mine corrupt theirs?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't Save to Central

Network connectivity? What time does IT run backup? I've seen backup utilities "tie up" a file while it is being copied/backed up.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't Save to Central

I wasn't here that late. Back-ups run around 1am, so I don't think that was our issue.
    We aren't using revit server.
    We've been using an rsync utility to push and pull consultant models from our FTP site.
    So in a sense we have a lot of models that are in theory more of a local file than a central file.
    We pass these back and forth daily.