See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Joist Cutback Distance in Plan View

Login to Give a bone

Default Joist Cutback Distance in Plan View

When I have joist framing into a Girder that are in line with each other I get different setback distances in plan on coarse view. If there is only 1 joist framing into the girder then usually I don't see a setback (see #1), If there are 2 joist in line with each other I either get 1 joist showing a setback (see #2), or I see both joist with setbacks which is what I want (see #3). I've messed with the beam join feature but doesn't help.

Capture.JPG

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Joist Cutback Distance in Plan View

Is that roof sloped?
    I've seen this behavior before and it was due to how the analytical model was functioning.
    What it appears to me is that the joists are attached to each other and the W16X26 isn't stopping the joist.
    How did you model these? Did you use the Z-direction offest or the start/end level offset? The do different things.
    My guess is that you used the start/end level offset on the W16 beams, which lowers the actual analytical line vs offsetting the modeled object. And then modeled the joist at the level. If you were to look at the analytical model, my guess is that the K-joists are not attached to the W16.
    Hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

It is a flat roof. I have two reference planes used to attach the framing. The T/STEEL ref plane is for the joist so they will be at the underside of the deck. The JOIST BEARING ELEVATION ref plane is for the girders so that they will be 2-1/2" below the deck for the joist seat. This automatically sets the start/end offsets from my roof level. The really weird thing is that I get the different looks even though they are framed in the same manner.

Login to Give a bone

Well there's your problem. Set the top of all of them to the same ref plane and use the z-direction offset to lower the bearing steel.
    What happens is the end of the joist is getting attached to the end of the joist and never intersects the WF beam below.
    Set all to save ref plane or level and drop the z-direction offset to -2 1/2". Then the 3d model and sections will look correct along with the plans.
    Hope this helps.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, that fixes it. Still confused as to why it it looked correct sometimes and not others when I did it with reference planes (refer back to image).