Thread: Future of QTO

Login to Give a bone

Question Future of QTO

QTO has been elimiated from 2014 release of Building Design Suite. In fact, I do not see a 2014 release of QTO at all. I know that Navisworks 2014 now includes tools for quantity takeoffs. But does anyone know what are Atudoesk's plans for QTO? Is the software being discontinuted?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Future of QTO

The silence from Autodesk is deafening....

Lew Heifner

Login to Give a bone

Autodesk is not exactly known for being forthcoming when it comes to customer expectation that they (Autodesk) justify why a given decision has been made, especially so when it is in regard to a feature either being pushed, or removed.

Your best bet at getting a direct response is to ask Autodesk a direct question via the Autodesk Product Feedback Form.

As to the topic of QTO, it is still very much a part of Civil 3D (which I work with), so I cannot comment on other verticals.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

I've been in direct contact with Autodesk on this very issue. I was told to wait a day for an "official" announcement... more than a few days ago. It is frustrating to say the least. My guess is QTO has been discontinued as a standalone product and some version of quantification is being incorporated into Navisworks. These are purely guess on my part as a frustrated QTO user. QTO has never worked properly for us and Autodesk responds with "we cannot reproduce the problem so we think it works fine".

Login to Give a bone

Classic Autodesk MO; thanks for the clarification.
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Questions and answers

Autodesk Quantity Takeoff 2013

Autodesk, AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Navisworks and Revitare registered trademarks or trademarks of Autodesk, Inc., and/or its subsidiaries and/or affiliates in the USA and/or other countries. All other brand names, product names, or trademarks belong totheir respective holders. Autodesk reserves the right to alter product and services offerings, and specifications and pricing at any time without notice, and is not responsible for typographical or graphical errors that may appear in this document. © 2013 Autodesk, Inc. All rights reserved.

1. General product information

1.1 Is there a 2014 release of Autodesk Quantity Takeoff?
    There is not a 2014 release of Autodesk® Quantity Takeoff software. Autodesk® Navisworks® Manage 2014 and Autodesk® Navisworks® Simulate 2014 software include new rich quantification features built on the trusted Navisworks platform. Customers with Autodesk® Building Design Suite Ultimate 2014 on active Subscription can deploy Autodesk® Building Design Suite Ultimate 2013 as a Previous Version entitlement through Subscription, allowing access to Autodesk Quantity Takeoff 2013.

1.2 Why was Autodesk Quantity Takeoff removed from Autodesk Building Design Suite?
    Navisworks Manage and Navisworks Simulate are in the Autodesk Building Design Suite Premium and Ultimate editions, respectively, and include new rich quantification features built on the trusted Navisworks platform.

2. Technology

2.1 What is the strategy behind developing quantity takeoff functionality in Navisworks?
    The Navisworks platform is the starting point for aggregated model-based workflows, and a natural place for us to focus on building an integrated set of quantification, coordination, planning, and project review tools. This strategy provides a strong platform to help address our customers’ demands for 5D workflows.

2.2 What new takeoff capabilities are in Navisworks Manage 2014 and Navisworks Simulate 2014?
    In both Navisworks Manage and Navisworks Simulate 2014 releases you can bring quantities from an aggregated model into a project. You can also mine quantities from model properties and create placeholders for non-modeled items.

In addition, you can tie quantification data to model objects without properties. This ability to go from high-level detailed models to virtually no details and still allow for more accurate quantity takeoff supports the entire project team, from design to field execution.

The Navisworks quantification feature functionality includes:

Item and resource catalogs
    . Import or create item and resource catalogs

. Associate items with resources

. Use formulas in catalogs

. Export catalogs

Model takeoff
    . Automated takeoff from object parameters

. Manual takeoff for modeled objects

. Virtual takeoff for non-modeled objects

Workbook
    . Quantification reporting

. Export to Microsoft® Excel®spreadsheet software

Change Analysis

2.3 How do the quantification features in Navisworks differ from Autodesk Quantity Takeoff?
    Navisworks Manage and Navisworks Simulate 2014 releases include quantification features built from the ground up, based on intensive customer and user feedback and the experience gained with the Quantity Takeoff product. These features enable more customers to bring quantities from an aggregated 3D model into a project. The Navisworks products currently do not support 2D takeoff. We recognize that 2D takeoff is still a very important part of a number of our customers’ estimating practices and therefore we continue to support Quantity Takeoff 2013 as a stand-alone product.

3. Installation, configuration, and licensing

3.1 Can I still purchasea license toa stand-alone version of Autodesk Quantity Takeoff?
    Yes, Quantity Takeoff 2013 is currently on the pricelist.

4. Compatibility and interoperability

4.1 I am able to integrate Autodesk Quantity Takeoff with my third-party estimating software application; will I be able to do this with Navisworks as well?
    Navisworks offers a comprehensive API that supports integration with third-party software applications.

4.2 Does Autodesk Quantity Takeoff2013 integrate with 2014 versions of Autodesk design products?
    Yes. Quantity Takeoff 2013 works with the 2014 versions of Autodesk® design products such as Autodesk® AutoCAD®, Autodesk® Revit®Architecture, and Autodesk® AutoCAD® Civil 3D® software.

5. Consulting, training, and support

5.1 Doyou offer support for Autodesk Quantity Takeoff2013?
    Autodesk does offer product support to customers with an active Subscription contract otherwise you may seek support through free forums and your Autodesk reseller.

6. Subscription

6.1 I am a suites customer who currently uses Autodesk Quantity Takeoff for both 2D and 3D quantity takeoff;will I still have access to Autodesk Quantity Takeoff with this new release?
    Yes, customers with Autodesk Building Design Suite Ultimate 2014 on active Subscription can deploy Autodesk Building Design Suite Ultimate 2013 as a Previous Version entitlement through Subscription, allowing access to Quantity Takeoff 2013.

6.2What happens to my Subscription with AutodeskQuantity Takeoff 2013?
    Customers with Quantity Takeoff 2013 on active Subscription can continue receiving certain benefits for as long as their Subscription term is active, including technical support and home use.

Login to Give a bone

all the tools based upon QTO are now in navisworks. can anyone tellme some basics to deal with formula in the quantification workbook, thanks.