I created a custom baluster to represent the bracket that attaches a crash rail to the wall. (See this thread for an image of the brackets.) The bracket is symetrical, so I had no particular problem when it was inserted. But I created a similar item for the start and end posts, except this has a nested family representing the railing return added to it. I had initially made the left-most reference plane the one defining the origin point (and pinned it), and placed the railing returns on the right side, and added the posts without any offset from the sketch line (which I intend to be the face of Wall), just like the balusters, but Revit put the railing returns up against the Wall. It appears that Revit will use the right-most geometry of the post (ingoring the nested family) as the plane to align with the railing sketch line, no matter which reference plane is designated as the origin. (To test this, I tried setting the origin to the Left, Center and Right planes, and they all came into the family the same. I ended up moving the railing return nested families to the left side of the post geometry, and that worked.

Is that the way balusters and posts are inserted? I can certainly set offsets within the Edit Baluster Placement dialog to move them relative to the sketch line, but would like to know if it always starts out at the right side, or if I have missed some setting that would give control as to how they are inserted. Thanks.