Thread: Extending column rebars

Login to Give a bone

Default Extending column rebars

Hi ,
    When placing column rebars either using extensions or using the traditional reinforcement ribbon , rebars do not extend to the bottom of the column footing( as it should be ) , and trying to do that manually is so cumbersome.
    Any suggestions to help to make things easier ..
    Regards

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Extending column rebars

Hi,
    Column reinforcement doesn't usually go into the footing (at least not where i have worked), starter bars are cast in the footing and column bars lap with these when the column is cast.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Extending column rebars

Quote Originally Posted by mark.ratcliff View Post
    Hi,
    Column reinforcement doesn't usually go into the footing (at least not where i have worked), starter bars are cast in the footing and column bars lap with these when the column is cast.
    Ditto
    Should be column dowels from footing to class "b" lap with col bars.
    Yes it's cumbersome, you're modeling rebar. I guess I would think about it like this, are you modeling bars for estimates, material lists, details or just because someone asked? Before I generally model anything, I always ask myself, what I'm going to get out of spending the time to do this and what are my contract obligations? Model what you need to model and what might show up in a section or a detail. For example, when I do pier details (and I've done alot of em) I' don't model the dowels cause they won't show up in the pier detail anyway. I don't have any obligation to model rebar (except it's easier to model for detailing) so I don't have to be that accurate. Arch & MEP sections don't show rebar so I'm OK there. And there's no need IMHO for the Arch or MEP guys to know about where bars are.
    If you're on the other side of the fence and you're producing shop drawings or field construction drawings for a fabricator or contractor then you'll need to spend the time.
    Long and the short of it, there's no real easy way I've found to do it and make it 100% the way the bars will be tied.