Please bear with me, this may be long, but I feel its important I give you folks all the facts in order to be able to give me the best bits of wisdom. I am a student currently taking courses at a community college. All my life I have been artistically inclined, and for a year I was at this community college aiming to get a degree in graphic design. For various reasons, I didn’t enjoy graphic design, it didn’t appeal to my understanding of art and what I would want to see myself using art for. Recently my mother mentioned AutoCAD, and recommended I take some courses because of the visual way you are dealing with information. I just started taking courses, a drafting class, and an AutoCAD 101 class, just getting our feet wet in the program… I have no idea what I’m getting into. I talked to the teacher about where specifically to take AutoCAD, whether it’s a job in and of itself, or whether its just a tool to be used with another specialized field, like firefighting or engineering or something. She really was very frustratingly vague, despite my efforts to get a larger understanding of what AutoCAD is all about in todays economy, and even more importantly, what area of AutoCAD someone who is artistically inclined should go. Currently she has me set on a course towards mechanical drafting, but I am coming to the community here to ask those with experience and wisdom whether this is a good direction? Is there jobs doing mechanical drafting? Is that an area that would be fun? What would a day in a job like that look like? Am I going about this the right way by reaching out to the online community for help?
What exactly am I getting myself into here?
Any wisdom from the community would be incredibly valuable to me. Thank you to those who took the time to read my story.

Heres some of my art:
Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 9.17.21 PM.png