Thread: Batt insulation pattern within wall type-parametric

Wish List Administration

Default Batt insulation pattern within wall type-parametric

Summary: To have a batt insulation hatch pattern that adjusts to the width of the wall stud cavity dimension within the wall type. This was possible using Architectural Desktop/Autodesk Architecture(?) wall types, but is not possible within Revit.

Description: To have a batt insulation hatch pattern that adjusts to the width of the wall stud cavity dimension within the wall type. This was possible using Architectural Desktop wall types, but is not possible within Revit wall types.

This would eliminate the time consuming need to draw annotative batt insulation lines that are independent of the wall, thus eliminating the need to continuously adjust width and termination points of batt lines when windows, doors, wall thicknesses, etc. change during the course of the design development phase.

Product and Feature: Revit Architecture - Walls

Submitted By: Tim Kauffman on 04/16/2013

Default Re: Batt insulation pattern within wall type-parametric

Yes. But I think this should be part of a larger effort to finaly abandon the antiquated .pat hatch pattern standard in favor of something more powerful and revit-like: adaptive (parametric) hatch patterns. Would be great to create intricate floor patterns as well.

I agree with Charles. If you are going to do it at all, do it right. Don't regurgitate Acad into Revit. One thing I see so often is Acad users asking for Acad features in Revit, as if Acad was the gold standard against which all else is measured.

Most of the time, Acad is the only CAD system they ever knew. I could talk for an hour about all the things missing from Acad. But to those whose only system was ACAD, how do they know what they don't know?

How about a snap to 0,0,0?

What I do not understand is why the option to use a model pattern is grayed out. I totally understand that one should not rely on the "CAD" way of doing things, but the fact that something so rudimentary as BATT insulation not being available as a hatch within a wall is irritating. Don't get me wrong, I like Revit, but there are several facets that are not easily customized that do not make it an easy sell to those who sign the checks and want things to look a certain way.

I could stop if I wanted to Damo's Avatar

Having just had to return the engineer's first set of draft drawings because they were incorrect (he thought my interior walls were solid masonry due to the hatching, and not stud framing with full-fill insulation between studs and insulation in front of studs,) I wholeheartedly support this wish.

If the insulation hatch could have been the batting symbol (which seems to be universally accepted) instead of a cross-hatch, then I wouldn't have been in the embarrassing situation of explaining why my drawings are not consistent and he wouldn't have wasted time designing steels sitting on stud walls.