Thread: Closed Loop Profiles

Login to Give a bone

I'm having a really frustrating time creating sweep profiles. I've tried importing them from a .dwg library where they currently exist as polygons. I've tried re-creating them in the revit template (profile.rft). I've exploded them, trimmed them, re-re-re-drawn them. Some of them don't give me any problems but, inexplicably, some of them continually unleash the dreaded fatal error message "must be a closed loop" when I try to complete a sweep. I'm stumped. Or stupified. Or my computer hates me, which I've suspected for years now.

By the way, I've given up trying to use the help and support stuff provided by autodesk. They're just about useless because they don't tell you "why" anything happens. Never mind, I'm ranting.

So, as I was saying, Sometimes I can create a sweep profile with no problems and other times the same steps produce a profile that revit won't recognize as a closed entity. I think I'm beginning to see where serial killers come from. The plant superintendant could be my first.

Any ideas?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Closed Loop Profiles

any sweep profile needs to be a "closed loop" means it cant have any gaps. the way to find the gaps is to switch to thin line mode, then put your cursor over one line andclick the tab button, if not all the lines highlight you know it will fail, there is a gap somewhere. You can find the gap and add a piece of line to close the gap. You may want to trace over you dwg files, many dwgs have lots of little pieces that overlap or something causing your problems. YOu may also have lines that don't intersect or overlapp slightly.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Login to Give a bone

Thanks Scott - I had forgotten the trick of hovering your cursor then hitting the Tabkey.... that'll save me some grief...

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your ideas, Scott. I tried everything you suggested but without success. Then, one of my co-workers imported the profile I was working with and saved it as a hosted profile. It worked fine. I just wish I understood why.

Login to Give a bone

Email me the one you were working with, I'm sure I can find a gap or bad intersection, sometimes acad lines will be very close to touching between an arc and a straigt segment, but they are 1/64th off and you cant see it. Also, the tab trick may highlight everything but there is a gap still.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK