Thread: Calculating volume between 2 floors

Login to Give a bone

Default Calculating volume between 2 floors

I've been working with my estimators on trying to calculate a volume between 2 floors. We have a structural slab that is slopped and then above that is a topping slab that slopes many different directions (for drainage). The 2 slabs do not slop together. I was charged with the task of trying to find the volume between the 2 slabs. I have currently modeled the 2 slabs and their appropriate slopes. I need to find a way to find the volume between the slabs. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful. (I am using Revit 2012 for this)

Thanks,
    Jon

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Calculating volume between 2 floors

Did you tried with a room?
    You can get Revit to calculate the volume and it will stop at a floor. Even Floor with Sub-Elements will be accounted for.
    I added an example
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the help, i've been messing with it for a few hours now, but still cant quite get it. I can get it to be correct and follow the slope of the bottom slab, but it just goes right through the top slab. Is there something that I am forgetting? All the slabs i'm working with are "room bounding".

thanks,

Login to Give a bone

Did you set rooms to calculate volume in your project? Click the arrow next to Room & Area on the ribbon to get to the settings.

Login to Give a bone

Yes, I had done that. I just figured it out tho. There must be something strange with my top slab. I offset a room separation line in 1/4" and it worked. So my calculation shows 1/4" less volume around one of the sides, but that is next to nothing. This is only for estimating after all. Thanks for all the help!

Login to Give a bone

So there is an actual void space between the structural and topping slabs? How does that work? Would love to see that model, or an example of it built in real life.

<-- 6,666th post

Login to Give a bone

The void space between the slabs is going to be filled with insulation. I needed to get the quantity of insulation to the estimator to price for the estimate.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Are talking about something like built up rigid insulation on a roof where the structure slopes AND the roof membrane will slope as well? That's "unusual", at least from the way Revit approaches roofs sloping.

You can either create a floor element that slopes uniformly (top and bottom surface) or one that slopes separately, the top can slope but the bottom is level. You could probably get reasonably close if you create a floor that slopes uniformly, following the steel slope. Use a floor type that is just insulation. Then use another floor that is allowed to slope on the top only. Place a separate floor wherever this additional insulation and slope will be required. In the floor properties use a layer for the insulation and another for topper and set the insulation to be "variable", a check box setting that allows the top to slope separately. Adjust the additional floor so it overlaps the primary floor, you can use join geometry to help it look okay. You'll have some extra insulation when you examine a schedule for the floors but it will get you as close as an estimator would get.