Thread: Unwanted borrowing of worksets in linked files on same Revit Server

Login to Give a bone

Default Unwanted borrowing of worksets in linked files on same Revit Server

Hello,

At the moment we are working on a project where everyone (architect, structure, MEP) has their central file placed on a single Revit Server (2013) which is located at the architect's office.
    Every party has their own local Revit Server at their own office functioning as accelerator. The central files are all linked together over the Revit Server.
    Now the problem I get is that somehow I keep borrowing elements in the central files from the other parties. Without opening the linked files I become borrower of the worksets "project info, project parameters and shared parameters'.
    Now everytime someone from the another party tries to load a new family into their project they get the message that they aren't allowed because they don't have permissions over the shared parameter workset (apparently because those families have shared parameters assigned to them).
    So at the moment I get phone calls from the other parties asking me to relinquish the worksets in their central files.

Is there anyone who might have a clue of what could be going on?

Greetings.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Unwanted borrowing of worksets in linked files on same Revit Server

One feature of Revit Server is that one can lock a workset from a linked file, even if one is not in the actual linked file. This can be inconvenient when there are network disruptions, or when the offices are far apart because either of these cases can cause orphaned lock files.

However, I suspect the issue relates more to the shared parameter text file. Ideally, teams from separate firms should use the same shared parameter text file. I wonder if you have duplcate parameters between the separate firms.

Login to Give a bone

If you are using Shared Coordinates for the location of the linked files then Synchronizing can sometimes save the location back to the Linked file. When it does this it essentially opens up the linked file, checks out the project information, changes it and then closes the file without relinquishing.
    To get around this, you can use shared coordinates for locating the file then in the properties of the linked file choose not to share and pin the linked file in it's place. this should prevent the location being saved back to the linked file.
    Hope this helps.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sonic_reducer13923687 View Post
    . . . . . . Now everytime someone from the another party tries to load a new family into their project they get the message that they aren't allowed because they don't have permissions over the shared parameter workset (apparently because those families have shared parameters assigned to them). . . . .
    Looks like this problem was not resolved on this thread?

We are getting a similar problem but it is wholly within our office, and no Revit Server is involved. We have some groups (apartment layouts) that are stored in a Project Standard Revit file. Whenever these groups are reloaded into our main project file we get the same message that we are not allowed because we don't have permissions over the shared parameter workset. It seems like whoever first loaded one of the groups becomes a borrower of the shared parameter workset and no one else can have access until they relinquish or grant permission. It seems to have a connection to two particular door families. It is weird and makes no sense to us - I did not think that shared parameters used in a family retained a dynamic link back to a shared parameters txt file (aside from using the name and GUID)?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by meng005 View Post
    One feature of Revit Server is that one can lock a workset from a linked file, even if one is not in the actual linked file. This can be inconvenient when there are network disruptions, or when the offices are far apart because either of these cases can cause orphaned lock files.

However, I suspect the issue relates more to the shared parameter text file. Ideally, teams from separate firms should use the same shared parameter text file. I wonder if you have duplcate parameters between the separate firms.
    seems like an odd feature to checkout worksets in a linked file. In order to relinquish those worksets you have to open a model which may have nothing to do with you.

We are currently experienceing this issue with Proj Info worsets. seems users are taking ownership of other departments models without knowing.

Is there any way to stop this type of non sense happening?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Sorry, I wish I knew how to stop the nonsense of unintended, checked out worksets.
    Autodesk has not indicated to us what the cause is.

I recommend regular model maintenance of rebuilding the central models: once a week (20+ active users), once a month (10-20 active users), twice a year (5-10 active users).
    This may help reduce erratic model behavior.

Login to Give a bone

It's been a while since we finished the project, but from what I recall is that we never found a solution for the problem. Eventually we decided to work in a central file at our own office and manually upload it to the external Revit server.