Thread: Underground Tunnel through topography

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Underground Tunnel through topography

I am trying to model an underground tunnel system and need to show the topography cut around it in a section view. I have tried creating a void but it won't cut the topography. I can use the pad tool to depress the topography, but I need to see the ground above the tunnel as well. Anyone have any suggestions?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Underground Tunnel through topography

Welcome on your first post! I think you may be disappointed with the answers on this question, but don't let that keep you from posting again...

There is no way to do exactly what you are asking. How many sections are you talking about? Is the topography complicated? Are there other sections that show the topography also? I ask because I have two possible solutions/workarounds:

1. If you do NOT need to show earth fill in other sections, change the Section Graphics > Elevation of poche base for the topography to something minimal, maybe so that it goes down to the top of your tunnel. Then add a detail fill region around the tunnel in the views you need.

2. If you DO need to show earth fill in a bunch of other sections, but the topography above the tunnel is relatively simple, you could create an earth fill region with a fat top line following the cut topo then turn off the topography in that view.

I've had two projects now in which my underground parking footprint is larger than my building, so I've had to work around this same problem. I never found a satisfactory solution, just the crummy ones I've listed above.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You could mix both actually. Use the topo for say the first meter. Then you switch to massing. Create a general large one that uses the Earth materiel. From there you will be able to cut and get decent looking sections but also still coordinated.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by damon.sidel View Post
    Welcome on your first post! I think you may be disappointed with the answers on this question, but don't let that keep you from posting again...

There is no way to do exactly what you are asking. How many sections are you talking about? Is the topography complicated? Are there other sections that show the topography also? I ask because I have two possible solutions/workarounds:

1. If you do NOT need to show earth fill in other sections, change the Section Graphics > Elevation of poche base for the topography to something minimal, maybe so that it goes down to the top of your tunnel. Then add a detail fill region around the tunnel in the views you need.

2. If you DO need to show earth fill in a bunch of other sections, but the topography above the tunnel is relatively simple, you could create an earth fill region with a fat top line following the cut topo then turn off the topography in that view.

I've had two projects now in which my underground parking footprint is larger than my building, so I've had to work around this same problem. I never found a satisfactory solution, just the crummy ones I've listed above.

I have an underground parking garage, and I've ended up at the same place - trying to figure out which sub-optimal workaround to use. I'm using #1, setting the poche base to above the top of the garage, and planning to just draw fill regions for the sections. However, when I have a plan view that is lower than my "poche base", I still see the earth poche. I don't want to hide the topo entirely, because there's a slope and its helpful to see the contours as the grade drops below the plane of the grade. Any idea if there is a setting that controls the depth of the poche in plan views??

thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by miller.michelle.e701711 View Post
    I have an underground parking garage, and I've ended up at the same place - trying to figure out which sub-optimal workaround to use. I'm using #1, setting the poche base to above the top of the garage, and planning to just draw fill regions for the sections. However, when I have a plan view that is lower than my "poche base", I still see the earth poche. I don't want to hide the topo entirely, because there's a slope and its helpful to see the contours as the grade drops below the plane of the grade. Any idea if there is a setting that controls the depth of the poche in plan views??

thanks!
    Use a roof instead of topography....modify the grass material to have a earth cut fill...
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"