Thread: Civ 3D 2014 - Drain Query

Login to Give a bone

Default Civ 3D 2014 - Drain Query

Hi People,
    Yes im new to Civil 3D. Im trying to creat a drain (open swale) along a profile so im using a corridor and assembly. My question is how do I create an assembly that only cuts up to the target surface at a specified grade and adjusts its width to be within the the daylight lines on each side. Simple im sure but even the simple things sometimes seems difficult to me with this program. Ive attached a jpeg hopefully explaing my question.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Civ 3D 2014 - Drain Query

Welcome to the forum.

You can use the Daylight subassemblies, but to be honest, I almost always use the generic subassemblies. "Link Slope to Surface" is what you would want. That will draw a line from the link insertion point at a specified slope until you reach the surface, then will stop. Make sure that you set the target surface to your daylight surface, otherwise, it will just display what you draw in the assembly.

If you are using an alignment and profile for the ditch bottom, then you should be good. If you are using (for example) an alignment and profile from a road centerline, but want to target a specific offset and profile, then I would throw in a "Link Offset and Elevation", that would let you target the ditch's offset and it's profile to establish the bottom V of the ditch. Again, the key is to set your targets, otherwise it will just draw in the part as you define it.

Finally, a piece of advise. Check out the different forum areas and pick the one that is most appropriate; you are likely to get a better response. For example, this question may be better posed under the Corridor group.

Good luck, and come back!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Civ 3D 2014 - Drain Query

Hi WScott
    Thanks for your advise I will give them a try