Thread: how are you indicating paint colors?

Login to Give a bone

Default how are you indicating paint colors?

I am working on a school project that wants lots of cheerful paint accents to liven up their facility. In the past I would add NSEW finish columns to the finish schedule and indicate P-1, P-2 etc. We have many oddly shaped rooms and the NSEW approach doesn't work very well. My first thought is to add keynotes to elevations and mark the schedule "see elev ###", but some of the simpler rooms don't have elevations drawn. I don't want to create elevations just for paint keynotes.

Any thoughts?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: how are you indicating paint colors?

This is likely not the "BIM" way, but we use a "dumb" annotation with leaders to call out accent finishes on walls in the finish plan. The annotation has a label to hold the designation for the accent treatment, which is entered manually. This is the same way we (and when I say we, I mean our interior designers) do it in CAD, hence, not the "BIM" way.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    This is likely not the "BIM" way, but we use a "dumb" annotation with leaders to call out accent finishes on walls in the finish plan. The annotation has a label to hold the designation for the accent treatment, which is entered manually. This is the same way we (and when I say we, I mean our interior designers) do it in CAD, hence, not the "BIM" way.
    I'll second that approach. Unless you're going to try and quantify the amount of each paint used, or creating a rendering of that room, there's no point in going through and splitting faces and painting the walls so that they tag accurately. We indicate in our room finish schedule the paint colors used on each wall (N/S/E/W). If more than one color is listed, a general note says something along the lines of "refer to elevation/plan for extents". In the elevations, we use detail lines (or model lines if it appears in a 3D view) to draw out where the accent paint(s) go(es).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rosskirby View Post
    "refer to elevation/plan for extents"

That's the way I did it long before Revit came along. I was just wondering if anybody had discovered a new improved method using Revit.