See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Isolate structure in a wall

Login to Give a bone

Default Isolate structure in a wall

I want to know if it's possible to isolate the structure layer in a wall. If I have a wall - finish + structure + finish I'm not able to visualize only the structure part (that is essential for the engineers be able to work on the project) . And if I want to that I have to do 3 different walls - 1 for the finish, 1 for the structure and 1 for the finish. The problem is that if I do that Revit can't read the 3 walls as a system with a unique set of properties (thermal, fire and sound) as it is in reality. So ideally Revit should have a away to isolate the structure part of a wall.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Isolate structure in a wall

Yes, you can, but it's not obvious. Try this for a wall with one layer in each of the finish/core/finish areas. Assign the core layer to Structure[1]. Assign the finish layers to Finish [4]. Change your finish materials in the material editor to have no cut pattern. In Visibility/Graphics for the view in question, on the Model tab, Walls, uncheck Common Edges. Then, in the V/G dialog box, look to the lower right for Override Host Layers. Check the box Cut Line Styles, then hit Edit. In the next dialog box, assign all the non Structure [1] lines to White color.
    That should get you the result you are looking for. Basically, you are telling Revit to hide common edges between layers in the wall, and also to assign non-Structure layers to a white color, rendering them invisible on a white background.

Login to Give a bone

Mike,

Thank you very much for your answer. But this method is not quite what I was looking for. I was looking for something similar to the way we isolate elements (like windows, doors...) using, for instance, filters. I think this is something that I'm going to put in the wish list...

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

There's 2 process i can outline for you. But Revit doesn't do it easily.
    #1, Use Parts. That way you have the availability to isolate the Structural Part. You can use a Filter to hide the Not Structural parts. That will force you to use more views though.
    #2, Use a link files and the Copy/Monitor tool to replace a wall with it's Structure only. Make sure you use Wall Centerline for all justification though. More clicks involved but it keeps you main model clean and you can simply link it back and turn off the walls in your main model.