Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical equipment circuiting issue

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Mechanical equipment circuiting issue

I'm circuiting some condensing units and exhaust fans on a roof. The condensing units circuit fine, the panel/circuit tag shows the correct information. When I start to circuit the exhaust fans, everything seems fine until I get to the tag, which just shows a "?". When I check the properties of the exhaust fan, Panel and Circuit Number are blank. The exhaust fan circuit is there, I can select it and it shows the correct panel name and circuit number, it even shows correctly in my panel schedule. I can't figure out why my panel and circuit number aren't reading back to the fan. I've checked the electrical connector properties in both families, and they seem identical. Any suggestions?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Mechanical equipment circuiting issue

is your tag family a mechanical equipment tag? i've never figured out how to make that work. always have to show a homerun and tag it to get a circuit number to show up. if yours does actually work, try editing the connector in the fan family, make sure Apparent Load and Voltage are set to your shared parameters of the same names (or whichever ones you use in the family that is working). would you mind posting your circuit tag? maybe it's just something i've missed, i thought circuit number just wasn't available in a mech equip tag...
    hth
    mike

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mhartmann View Post
    is your tag family a mechanical equipment tag? i've never figured out how to make that work.
    Add a label to your mechanical equipment tag. You'll see that "Panel" and "Circuit Number" are available parameters.

Login to Give a bone

oh, maybe they added that in a version since i first tried it, working now, thanks!

Login to Give a bone

mechanical equipment circuits became available in 2010 or 2011 I believe can't remember which one. I would explore the family as suggested above it obvious has a connector in it. Also, I would double check the family it works on as well as the tag family make sure there isn't something different like a shared parameter being used, etc.

Can you post the families so we can test it?

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

This question was asked at the RevitForum.org too, I responded there. He uploaded a small sample project to examine. When I removed the original family and loaded it again, fresh it worked fine.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    This question was asked at the RevitForum.org too, I responded there. He uploaded a small sample project to examine. When I removed the original family and loaded it again, fresh it worked fine.
    We're just using the Wire tag workaround for now, there are quite a few exhaust fans on the roof and we didn't want to delete and reload them, although as Steve said that does seem to fix the issue. If only I could find what caused it in the first place.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by AaronC
    ...there are quite a few exhaust fans on the roof and we didn't want to delete and reload them...
    When faced with this we can rename the existing family and load the "new" family. Then we can swap the exisitng renamed versions with the fresh version. Revit has had issues with reloading content faithfully when it does not detect a physical change in the family. I suspect it was broken, so to speak, after the family was altered in some way and reloaded at some point.

Login to Give a bone

Have you tried editing the family going into the parameters change a value apply it and change it back. Then load into project, even though you changed the data back to the original Revit thinks something has changed and it will do a full update of the family. Maybe this will work since it is a little more elaborate and not a simple "reload" command.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by james.klatt
    ...Have you tried editing the family going into the parameters change a value apply it and change it back...
    I didn't, I got the impression that there weren't many instances to deal with. I only found out there are a bunch later. That technique will often work, either changing the current type if there are several or changing a dimension value so the geometry is altered. That said, I've also encountered families where it didn't work. The most certain way to force it is to completely remove and load again. This thread references 2013 but I can't be sure how old the family file is itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast