Thread: Panel schedule load names

Login to Give a bone

Default Panel schedule load names

Can anyone tell me what parameters determine the load name that appears in the panel schedule? I am trying to get the panel schedule to read the mechanical tag for the equipment designation. I have given the disconnect switch a tagable parameter that I fill out manually to match the mechanical designation. Even though it's tagged, it won't appear in the panel schedule.

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Panel schedule load names

That is a direct report of the parameter named "Load Name" which belongs to Electrical Circuits. The Panel Schedule cannot read information that resides within the model elements that belong to the circuit in lieu of this.

Login to Give a bone

That is why I am trying to use a tag. The panel schedule will read the tag for another electrical panel and fill out the schedule accordingly. When you go to a family and set the family category to "electrical equipment" you can change the "family parameter part type" to "electrical switch" (default is panelboard). The intent was to read the tag to fill out the name in the panel schedule. In this case I am trying to use a disconnect to represent the load of a piece of mechanical equipment.

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

This a special function of Revit - it automatically enters the Panel Name from the panel as the Load Name of the associated Electrical Circuit. HOWEVER, this does NOT create a link between Panel Name and Load Name - it just sets it as a default value. You will have to tell Revit to "Update Names" to restore this default value for EACH such panel in the case of a name change.

Try this simple test to see what I mean:
    Create a new Panel and then enter the value "AAA" as the Panel Name. Connect it to another compatible Panel. If you open the Panel Schedule, the Load Name will read "AAA" as expected. Now, change the Panel Name of the downstream to "BBB" and return to the Panel Schedule. Note that the Load Name does NOT update, and still reads "AAA", which is now incorrect. Select it and hit "Update Names" to reaqcuire the correct Panel Name.

That said, if you still want to reply on or employ this, perhaps you can leave the Switch Family's Part Type as a "Other Panel"?

Login to Give a bone

"Panel name" is an (instance) system parameter that comes in with the Electrical Equipment Template. My electrical equipment tag fills out the "Panel name" parameter in each instance with it's unique name. This unique name carries thru to the panel schedule. I have also seen the "load classification" and "Space tag" (room name and number) carry thru. That is why I had hoped that other tag information might work. Wrong again!

The problem with keeping the family parameter part type as panelboard or other panel is the disconnect switch will show up as an available power source just like a panel does when circuiting and you have to know that "panel name" is the default parameter in the family that the tag fills out and sends to the panel schedule. BTW, we do not do a schedule our disconnects.

I am familiar with name update and you are correct. I am trying to improve my library because it is inconsistent on how it fills out the panel schedules. I am sick of seeing "other" with no other info in the panel schedule. Try to find that circuit!

Thanks for your help!

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Just because it doesn't sound like it is clearly understood, tags don't store any information, they show information. The data that shows up in a tag is really information that is stored in the element the tag is associated with. So putting information in a tag is not literally in the tag, it is in the element it is tagging (associated with). You can also fill out a tag by adding the information directly to the properties palette or type properties dialog. Entering data into a tag is just a convenient way to add it to the tagged element.

When an element is inside a Space element Revit includes the Space's name in the Load Name as a default action. The Load Classification is used for devices and equipment when one exists. When those stars align you get Load Classification & Space Name in the load name of the circuit and it appears in the panel schedule.