Thread: Customize Detail Boundary Callouts

Login to Give a bone

Default Customize Detail Boundary Callouts

Is it possible to modify the standard "Detail Boundary" tool to insert on a non-standard layer? I have tried looking through the properties of the tool and cannot find a way. Also, is there a way to have it default to "Callout only" rather than open up the dialog box?
    Thanks,

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Customize Detail Boundary Callouts

Quote Originally Posted by bamckenzie69370737 View Post
    Is it possible to modify the standard "Detail Boundary" tool to insert on a non-standard layer? I have tried looking through the properties of the tool and cannot find a way. Also, is there a way to have it default to "Callout only" rather than open up the dialog box?
    Thanks,
    You can change the Layer Key specified (under Basic > General) or, if your Layer Standard supports it, add Layer Key Overrides (also under Basic > General).

Login to Give a bone

Maybe our problem is that we incorrectly set up our "Layer Standard." We simply have a template with all of the used layers in it. I am guessing there is a way to customize the layer keys and overrides, but we simply do not use them. I guess I will investigate that a bit.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by bamckenzie69370737 View Post
    Maybe our problem is that we incorrectly set up our "Layer Standard." We simply have a template with all of the used layers in it. I am guessing there is a way to customize the layer keys and overrides, but we simply do not use them. I guess I will investigate that a bit.
    You can find nearly everything I ever used to know about Layer Standards in these two blog posts:
    http://architects-desktop.blogspot.c...key-style.html
    http://architects-desktop.blogspot.c...hitecture.html
    The only change of which I am aware would be the method of getting to the Layer Properties Manager, as the pull-down menu method listed in the article is not available in more recent releases (since 2010). You can now use the ribbon: On the Home ribbon tab, on the Layers panel, select the Layer Properties tool (top row, far left).

Layer Key Styles are fairly straight forward. They hold a list of Layer Keys, to which each has a layer name and associated layer properties assigned. When ACA needs to create an object, it will reference the associated Layer Key in the current Layer Key Style and check to see if that layer already exists in the drawing. If it does, then the layer is used "as is" and the object is placed on that layer. If it does not exist, the layer is created, using the layer properties specified. (Note that in the first case, ACA does not check the properties of the existing layer to see if they match the properties assigned to the Layer Key.)

Several Layer Key Styles are provided in the out-of-the-box content, associating layers that comply with various standard layering conventions (which are incorporated into the Layer Standard associated with each one). Even if your office's layering scheme does not lend itself to a Layer Standard, you can still make use of a Layer Key Style to get ACA to use your layers when placing AEC objects. And you can add your own custom Layer Keys and reference them in custom tools on a Tool palette (such as the one for detail boundaries). There are also AutoLISP functions available that allow you to make use of layer keying in any custom LISP routines you may have. You can find more information about the LISP functions here:
    http://architects-desktop.blogspot.c...functions.html