Thread: Nested Detail Components

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Nested Detail Components

I'm working on our standard Detail Library. Like most people, I hate drawing the same thing over and over again. I've started to create nested assemblies of building components for typical details that I see being repetitive. For example, today I'm working on Ceiling details. I've made a GWB Soffit with the GWB in a U-shape with the corner beads, parameters for soffit width and heights, etc.

How many of you do this and how far do you take it? Do I nest in studs with parameters for stud sizes, nest in adjacent ceiling assemblies with height parameters? My biggest concern is making sure is making sure these nested assemblies are versatile and elegant without confusing the users in the office.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Nested Detail Components

I would suggest to create an assembled detail project, using all of the proper drafting techniques (Detail Components, Filled Regions, Detail Lines). Create views and place similar details on them. Place this project in your firm's library under a general folder and have people load views into their projects, and edit as needed. DO NOT use graphic overrides to get details to look the way you want them too. If you need something to be half tone, you need to create a line/fill pattern as such. Graphic Overrides do not transfer via Load View from Project'.

Cheers,
    Jeff S.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I definitely prefer creating Drafting Views with Details Components assembled together. Those can be easily inserted into a project and then modified.

Login to Give a bone

That is what I've done. I've created what I've called a "Detail Warehouse" I've named the details in a generic to specific format such as Roof-EPDM-Roof Drain so the list sorts when someone wants to insert one into their file. That's working out great but I'm more interested in the actual detail component families themselves. Instead of just assembling GWB wallboard and corner beads several times over for each detail, I've created nested families of these items in typical configurations that I see people using over and over again. It's not anything ground breaking but I've uploaded an example. The elements highlighted in blue is a nested family. The suspended ACT, track with the hanger wire off to the left and right are nested families too. I just wanted to see if other people made a lot of nested detail families and if users, especially beginners had a hard time making changes. It sure has been great for me to make any changes to these details to be able to shift entire assemblies around rather than individual elements.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

If you use nested details you made them Shared to be able to tag right? Then what happens when someone modifies the family?
    I prefer keeping components separate for ease of use. Especially with new users.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the advice. What might seem really straight forward and easy to use for me might not be that way for new users. I have a hard time drawing that line sometimes on what is too hard for new users. And we don't tag our details. We just use text.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Making a detail component Shared & nesting it into another family doesn't always work as expected. About a year ago, I was helping create curtain wall families, and I was nesting a detail component into the mullion. When placed in the project model, the shared detail component would disappear. Just a heads up.

Cheers,
    Jeff S.