Thread: 2"/4" Door Head (formula driven)

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default 2"/4" Door Head (formula driven)

I have been building some "super doors" for my firm and I am trying to control the door frame head to be able to be changed from 2" to 4". I have the basic parameters set and working; I have a "family type" parameter controlling the frame head size (2" / 4"), and a length parameter controlling the "rough height" opening size. I am trying to link these separate parameters together to be able to be controlled with a single "yes/no" parameter.

I have built the frame, door panel and door swing as separate files and loaded them into the door file. Maybe does the frame need to be built in the door file to be controlled with the rough opening height?

I need the door head switch to be able to be controlled with one click for ease of use by the rest of the company employees.

Any help or guidance will be much appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2"/4" Door Head (formula driven)

You can "link" the yes/no to the Rough Height parameter with this:

Rough Height = if(4" Head ON, Height+4", Height +2")

this will allow you to make the formula work for multiple door heights in the same family. If you need more head height options, you can nest additional if statements as follows:

Rough Height = if(4" Head ON, Height+4", (if, 3" Head ON, Height+3", 2"))

This is just an example of ways you can work it out.

As for the Family Type label, I haven't been able to make it work, but i really only spent 15 minutes. There might be a way that I just don't know about...

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Sounds to me that you're making this more complicated then you really need to. I would do a formula for the Rough Height as = Height + Door Head. I would control those parameters via a Type Catalog. You could even control the nested Generic models in a similar fashion.

Hope this helps,
    Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

Mine is pretty simple as well....I just dimension the model opening and make the Rough Opening a Reporting Parameter...
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

Why not just make the check box be called "Masonry Frame", then on Door Head put =if(Masonry Frame, 4", 2"). Then on Rough Height make that one =Height + Door Head. Should be pretty simple.

BTW formula syntax won't recognize ON or OFF for yes/no parameters. It's simply implied. So =if(Masonry Frame...) implies "if Masonry Frame is turned on". Whereas =if(not(Masonry Frame)...) means if it's NOT turned on.

*edit* also it's not a good idea to have a parameter name contain something like a length measurement in it, such as "4" Frame" you showed there, because it can cause issues when trying to use that parameter name in a formula. Hence why I suggest just calling it "Masonry Frame".

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by patricks View Post
    BTW formula syntax won't recognize ON or OFF for yes/no parameters. It's simply implied. So =if(Masonry Frame...) implies "if Masonry Frame is turned on". Whereas =if(not(Masonry Frame)...) means if it's NOT turned on.
    Yeah, the naming of the parameters really matter in most cases (in my examples I was just using the parameter names from the PDF). Not only do they need to be descriptive, they should also be short if you can manage it. And not just something you understand, it should be something that anyone in your company can understand. It helps if you can develop a company specific syntax for parameter naming. I am just getting that process started at my office and I can already see how valuable its going to be, but also just how much work its going to be to update our entire library...