Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Formula(s) for one but not the other.

Login to Give a bone

Default Help Formula(s) for one but not the other.

This is a frustrating Idea. I have 3 Clip options one is 1/2, the other 3/4, and the last is flush. There is already the clip drawn as an extruded block but I can not write the formula I need so if one choice is chosen the other two are not and I already have a visibility yes/no parameter on it. I have that working just not the block thickness. Any ideas should I use another method for the formula or should I go about drawing it completely different. Egad, It making me cross eyed Please Help Me!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Help Formula(s) for one but not the other.

Clips for what?

From how I'm understanding your question; you have a main piece of geometry that has an extra piece sticking out - being controlled by check boxes.
    What you need is an option where one choice disables other incompatible choices. Unfortunately, there's no way to do that with Revit (yet).

The best option I can think of, is nesting the Clip geometry and using a dropdown to lock your choices.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by perry.caddauan344090 View Post
    Clips for what?

From how I'm understanding your question; you have a main piece of geometry that has an extra piece sticking out - being controlled by check boxes.
    What you need is an option where one choice disables other incompatible choices. Unfortunately, there's no way to do that with Revit (yet).

The best option I can think of, is nesting the Clip geometry and using a dropdown to lock your choices.

The clips are part of my models of manufactered panels.. the clips are standoff clips from a tube or wall...
    how do you the drop down menu choice option,all my family editor knowledge is self taught so i probably use very crude methods of designing all my models..so..Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Unless the clips are totally different at each size...I would make the clips be parametric and linked to a calculation in the family instead of having 3 different size clips based on visibility.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by awinkler514194 View Post
    The clips are part of my models of manufactered panels.. the clips are standoff clips from a tube or wall...
    how do you the drop down menu choice option,all my family editor knowledge is self taught so i probably use very crude methods of designing all my models..so..Thanks!
    The clips will have to be "nested" into the Panel Family, and mapped to Family Type (under the Type of Parameter dropdown). You should have a drop down in your Properties Dialogue, when you load it into a project.

Quote Originally Posted by cdatechguy View Post
    Unless the clips are totally different at each size...I would make the clips be parametric and linked to a calculation in the family instead of having 3 different size clips based on visibility.
    You can still base a visibility using checkboxes and formulae.
    eg
    if(if(Checkbox1, 1, 0) + if(Checkbox2, 1, 0) = 1, if(Checkbox1, 1.25", if(Checkbox2, 1", 0")), 0.5")

Allowing for an offset of .5" (so your geometry doesn't error out), and "Flush" as "Default"

Login to Give a bone

The clips will have to be "nested" into the Panel Family, and mapped to Family Type (under the Type of Parameter dropdown). You should have a drop down in your Properties Dialogue, when you load it into a project.

You can still base a visibility using checkboxes and formulae.
    eg
    if(if(Checkbox1, 1, 0) + if(Checkbox2, 1, 0) = 1, if(Checkbox1, 1.25", if(Checkbox2, 1", 0")), 0.5")

Allowing for an offset of .5" (so your geometry doesn't error out), and "Flush" as "Default"
    OK but here is the thing I have tried that and the clip may change length but the extrusion/sweep that the clip is attached to does not move...that is the most important part... I need the clip to change and the extrusion/sweep it is attached to, move as well...

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

I have been following this thread, and haven't chimed in until now, because I can't understand what the outcome is that you're trying to achieve. You have a family that gets placed on a column (Tube) or a Wall, and is held up by clips. Are the clips are nested families? Are you creating Face Based Family for this Panel System? Could you post an image of what you're trying to do? Maybe a product cut sheet?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by awinkler514194 View Post
    OK but here is the thing I have tried that and the clip may change length but the extrusion/sweep that the clip is attached to does not move...that is the most important part... I need the clip to change and the extrusion/sweep it is attached to, move as well...
    Then you'd have to add a reference plane that offsets along with the clips... I'm assuming 4 clips; 1 per corner, for this example. As well as the clips being native to the panel as opposed to being a separate piece of hardware that could be used on other panels.

(If you wanted the clips to be a ckeckbox; simply delete 2 types, rename the remaining type, and convert the checkboxes and "Panel -Wall Gap" to instances)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Then you'd have to add a reference plane that offsets along with the clips... I'm assuming 4 clips; 1 per corner, for this example. As well as the clips being native to the panel as opposed to being a separate piece of hardware that could be used on other panels.

(If you wanted the clips to be a ckeckbox; simply delete 2 types, rename the remaining type, and convert the checkboxes and "Panel -Wall Gap" to instances)
    Thanks Im going look at this and see if I can make it work

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Help Formula(s) for one but not the other.

its not working and i dont know why!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast