Thread: discrepancies with plotting pdf

Login to Give a bone

Default discrepancies with plotting pdf

If I plot a drawing using the page setup override through the sheet set manager, i get prompted for a file name and the pdf is created without layer information.
    This is what I want.
    However, a when publishing a drawing through the publish dialogue box and importing the same page setup from the same template, I am NOT prompted for a file name and the pdf is created WITH all layer information.

Is there something I am missing? Same page setup, same template, same .pc3 file I would have thought would plot with same results.

Also single page plots (not using publish) give result I want as well, prompt and NO layer information

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: discrepancies with plotting pdf

In the ublish dialog, select PDF as the 'Publish to" choice, and then click on the [Publish Options...] button. The answers you seek are there.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your response.
    so even if I have a page setup that plots to pdf correctly through plot and SSM page setup overwrite, I need to change 'Publish to' from 'plotter named in page setup' to 'PDF'
    Why does it not work with plotter named in page setup? It did when we plotted with acroplot, now that we changing to dwg to pdf it causing problems.

We need to change because of a lack of licenses and there are some computers that it just wont load on.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by matthew.221135 View Post
    Thanks for your response.
    so even if I have a page setup that plots to pdf correctly through plot and SSM page setup overwrite, I need to change 'Publish to' from 'plotter named in page setup' to 'PDF'
    Why does it not work with plotter named in page setup? It did when we plotted with acroplot, now that we changing to dwg to pdf it causing problems.

We need to change because of a lack of licenses and there are some computers that it just wont load on.
    Correct -- if you want to use publishing to pdf, you need to set the output override in the publish dialog to use PDF, regardless of the plotter defined in the page setup. AFAIK, that's the only way to get a multi-page PDF w/o using 3rd party software. I invariably define specific page setups for DWF and PDF in addition to the hardcopy pagesetups, because that's the most reliable way I know to get the output I want to see.

As to the 'Why' - acroplot, bluebeam, deskpdf, adobe, etc pdf printer drivers were all developed by different groups, with different teams, different managers, different companies, and different ideas about how _they_ think the software should work. Autodesk's people did one thing, Acroplot did something else. No suprise there --

Login to Give a bone

thanks for that, there gonna be some real unhappy people round here now that they need to do ONE extra step.
    Suppose acroplot is set up as a standalone plotter, and that plotter plots pdf, dwgtopdf is not a plotter according to devices and printers loaded on computer control panel.