Thread: Extrusions & Sweeps - Won't Hold Position in Wall Based Generic Family

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Extrusions & Sweeps - Won't Hold Position in Wall Based Generic Family

UPDATE: I have been trying to upload the Revit family file but it is not working for me.

I have a generic wall-based family that I am trying to create (see attached file) of a glass display case embedded in a wall. The problem I am having is common - when the wall thickness changes, the extrusions or sweeps in my family don't hold their position relative to the wall edge, or to the wall offset reference plane and parameter that I am trying to create. (You can see this clearly if you look at a section through the wall-based family, and change the wall thickness from wall type "Wall 1" to "Wall 2). I'd like the sweeps and extrusions to always maintain their position in relation to one another. In addition, I'd like them to maintain the correct position when offset from the wall edge, based on the reference plane ("Wall Offset") and parameter ("Wall Offset") that I have created.

I've noticed some really bizarre behaviors when trying to do this. First, the profiles in the families are somewhat complex (i.e. they are not just a rectangle), so I can't easily lock the profile location. Second, when I created these profiles using extrusions, the actual profiles themselves were changing based on wall thickness, which was kind of weird. Now, I have converted these complex profiles to sweeps, and that seems to be working better. At least, the profiles are not changing. However, now, the profiles move around based on the wall thickness, and not to my desired effect. Their offset from the wall edge changes based on wall thickness. I'd like them to always maintain the same offset from the wall, no matter what wall thickness.

I have read through various posts trying to figure out a solution. Some people recommend nested families, but I'd prefer not to do this. I have some reference planes and parameters setup in my family and I need these sweeps to flex, not just become a nested element that can't change size. I also don't understand why this can't be fixed within the family itself. Revit should be able to do that, right?

Any help trying to fix this family would be appreciated. Thank you!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Extrusions & Sweeps - Won't Hold Position in Wall Based Generic Family

If you had problems trying to upload a Revit file, can you post an image, instead?

Note to administrators: can anybody please check what is going on with attachments? I have seen several threads recently in which the users report problems. Is it because of the size of the file? Maybe the limit is too low for Revit files? Thanks.